PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Wolf question?

zaconb
02-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Please bear with me.
History- I’ve been hunting upland with dogs since I was 16. My dogs are trained steady to wing and shot, will run rabbits for the gun and are used for waterfowl.

Ok here’s the question I will be living in Vancouver as of May I will be looking for areas to hunt upland with-in driving distance of greater Vancouver (If possible) with several trips to Pheasant, Quail areas each fall. How much of a problem are wolves, where are the areas where wolves are the greatest concern. What is a good caliber for wolves, would a 12ga or 20-ga slugs do in an emergency.
Or am I just being stupid!
Cheers
Rick

wsm
02-16-2007, 09:06 PM
i think that because of a few bad experiences posted on this web site people have the wrong idea about wolves. If your actively hunting with your dog in view your probably pretty safe, they dont care much for people. especialy in the lower mianland or okanagan areas where your doing your upland bird hunting.wolf poulations are not huge in those areas.Just dont let your dog run kilometers ahead of you or leave them out over nightin the back country.And yes a 12ga will do the job if it comes to that,DON'T HIT YOUR OWN DOG.

SHAKER
02-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Right on with that one. Wolves are more of a problem to us hounddawers who have zero control over where our dogs go. A field dog should be with in shot gun range at all times right? So even if you do happen to see one, shoot the *******! The pelt would make a great reminder to a day Pheasant hunt'n eh!

Sasquatch
02-17-2007, 11:52 PM
When I hunt grouse in the interior with my Griff, the third shell is always a slug. Never know when you're going to need it.
I don't worry as much about wolves, as I do coming across a bear in the wrong spot. I want a little more than #7 bird shot around if he needs a hand.

zaconb
02-18-2007, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the honest replies, I should have ordered a few boxes of slugs in 20ga and 12ga with my last ammo order from Cabelas, they will be included in the next one:evil:

Steeleco
02-18-2007, 09:22 AM
I've hunted Harrison and Chealis for over a decade, other than stories of wolves at the top end of Harrison back in the bad fire year, I've never seen any. Only seen a few yotes in all that time also.

wsm
02-19-2007, 12:02 AM
wolves are good medicine for bear hounds, as i have seen bear hounds chasing deer on many occasions in the okanagan

houndogger
02-19-2007, 07:00 AM
Good one wsm:rolleyes:

Barracuda
02-19-2007, 10:20 AM
wolves are good medicine for bear hounds, as i have seen bear hounds chasing deer on many occasions in the okanagan

are you sure it wasnt a bunch of spitz laikas or Hybrids /Mongrel, those types of dogs fare well when it come to game destruction :twisted: .

If bear hounds are chasing deer as much as you claim then i am pretty sure the handlers would be fed up enough to deal with the situation . Most Houndsmen will not tolerate a hound that cannot be broken from Off Game.

Mind you There will always be someone that thinks the rules dont apply to them and feel they are entitled or whatever

SHAKER
02-20-2007, 11:41 AM

Are you sure that wasn't just a Rock Creek bow hunter you seen???????

wsm
02-20-2007, 09:48 PM
i have seen hounds chasing deer , and even came accross the owner on one occasion. he asked me if i had seen the bear his dogs were after because they went in my direction. i told him that thay were chasing deer not a bear . At that point he said they dont chase deer only bears, and wouldn't believe otherwise. have seen this three more times since in the same area. if you ever want to check it out i would be glad to tell you where . some of you may live neer to this place.

wsm
02-20-2007, 09:54 PM
to those of you whose dogs dont chase deer, I APOLOGISE. and for those of you whose dogs do chase deer i hope the wolves get them all

gameslayer
02-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I have seen Dogs chase deer down near rock Creek as well. Nice Buck he jumped clear off a ridge above me serious air time,By the speed he was going I was hoping it was another buck chasing because the deer were rutting so I hunkered down for a shot at what was chasing him and it was a golden retreiver cross and a border collie. Some other hunters told me they heard the chase as well and wondered why I did not shot the dogs. Being a dog lover (whose dog does not chase deer) I said shooting a mans dog likes sleeping with his women and left it at that :)

wsm
02-20-2007, 10:38 PM
i agree gameslayer its not my place to shoot someones dog. i would not be very happy if someone shot mine!

boxhitch
02-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Being a dog lover (whose dog does not chase deer) I said shooting a mans dog likes sleeping with his women and left it at that :)
But if said woman is out chasing around, she deserves to be 'dealt with', too.
Do not tolerate dogs chasing wildlife.

SHAKER
02-22-2007, 10:49 AM
i have seen hounds chasing deer , and even came accross the owner on one occasion. he asked me if i had seen the bear his dogs were after because they went in my direction. i told him that thay were chasing deer not a bear . At that point he said they dont chase deer only bears, and wouldn't believe otherwise. have seen this three more times since in the same area. if you ever want to check it out i would be glad to tell you where . some of you may live neer to this place.

I would like to know, cause any hound that chases deer is almost not worth the bullet to put'em down. Everyone I know who chases them stupid noise buckets feels the same. But I do have a feeling who your talking about though, Could you PM me on this please?