PDA

View Full Version : Associated Wildlife Preserve

zaconb
02-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Anyone have the contact information for the Associated Wildlife Preserve, in Delta ? (I think)
Cheers
Rick

browningboy
02-15-2007, 06:04 PM
No but I believe that they've turned alot of people off duck hunting as they have got most of the land sewn up and doesn't provide a nice outing without running into their private land everywhere.
I give them a big thumbs down:mad:

Dano
02-15-2007, 11:16 PM
They lease land from farmers and members can hunt there. They must get permission first even though it's part of their lease because that way it proves the guys shooting are members. I'm pretty sure it's hard to join unless you get sponsored by a member.... There's lots of great shooting on public land if you have the equipment (and we know you do).
They release pheasants too.
Dan

zaconb
02-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Sorry guys I guess I misunderstood :sad: I thought they only provided pheasant hunting opportunities on a managed (Farm) preserve. I love getting out and chasing wild birds and I’m sure I will work that out for a few hunts in B.C. and Alberta. But it would be great to have a place that was close that I could get “The Boys” (pointers) on birds once or twice a week for maintenance and fun. They don’t care if they’re wild or not :lol:
Cheers and thanks
Rick

Dirty
02-16-2007, 07:40 AM
I believe there is a long waiting list for new members because they limit the number of memberships. In addition, I also believe you have to have a sponsor as previously mentioned. For $600 a year you would be better off to spend the money travelling to the OK or Alberta. How sporting is chasing down caged birds. Half the time they don't even fly, they run away into the field. It is pathetic to watch the rich fools pull up in there rigs with multiple dogs in a trailer. Then watch them unload their quad because they are too fat and lazy to walk to where they will be hunting. Another thing that is sickening is the abundant use of shock collars on their dogs. Personally, I don't agree with their use, it just seems that the handler has no control over their dogs so they must use them. That is just my rant about the Associated Wildlife Preserve, take it or leave it.

zaconb
02-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Hunting preserves can be invaluable for anyone training an upland dog. If you want to train and maintain a finished upland dog you had better have an unlimited supply of wild cooperative birds or access to “caged birds”. Getting a well-bred pointing dog to the level where he is 100% finished and dependable can only be achieved by bird work and lots of it. Having birds that you can plant, put in cages, and reuse is invaluable.

How sporting is chasing down caged birds. Half the time they don't even fly, they run away into the field.

Not sure what the wild pheasants are like in B.C. but I’ve been hunting them for all most 30 years with dogs and rarely do I have that picture perfect flush! 99% of the time they will run as far and as fast as possible using every piece over cover available to avoid avian predators, usually they only fly as a last resort! But I do agree that preserve hunting is not sporting, but has it's place in dog training!

Another thing that is sickening is the abundant use of shock collars on their dogs. Personally, I don't agree with their use, it just seems that the handler has no control over their dogs so they must use them.

I agree the abundant use of shock collars by novices to control their dogs is sad. I believe a novice trainer should not use them but in certain training situations they have their place.
If you own a well bred versatile dog or any dog with an over the top prey drive, that was bred to kill predators and dispatch wounded game and you don’t use one for initial training, you had better be one H*LL of a trainer. Because if your not and you can’t whistle your dog off of a bear, then that’s it, game over! A shock collar is probably the only thing that will break the concentration of a hard charging dog that’s about to go into kill mode.
Another great use for the ecollar is it’s a sure fire way of breaking dogs on un-wanted game and especially chasing big game. You can break a pup with a huge prey drive from chasing any and all big game species in a weekend and that’s it! I would rather have a dog with a high prey drive and use the ecoller for a limited amount of time to correct an unwanted behaviour than having him shot some day because he was out of my sight and took after a deer!
My $.02

Prey Drive!
This fox and a few others were killing a lot of nesting ducks at our local D.U. marsh, Chas caught this one a little to far from it's den!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/zaconb/IMGP0421.jpg

Greenhead
02-16-2007, 05:39 PM
I am going to PM you the number of the president.
I have talked (ARGUED) with this guy quite a bit lately!! He probably wishes that I hadn't got his number:-o ! It took three years to get it!
These guy's DO NOT stop and let the farmers know that they are going to hunt their land, alot of the land that is posted with there signs are NOT LEASED to them, and they are a tight knit group that WON'T GIVE YOU the time of day, let alone a number for the club! It is a boy's club with a european way of thinking! They say they take on 5 new members a year, that must be sponsered by a member, and pay $500.
The statements above are FACT, because I have been dealing with this issue for the last five years, I have taken matters into my own hands and have begun leasing and posting farms all over my area ( all of which they were supposed to have leases on??) And all of the farms have been happy with the change. No more yahoos driving through fields, leaving blind materials and shell casings on the ground ect.
When I complained to the club about some of the members antics, shooting before legal times, and shooting off the dycke, their response was " we know the guy's you are talking about, but we can't just kick them out or punish them, because they are lawyers." :confused: Wow! great response, luckily the CO had a different oppinion!

As for the phesant hunts??? the president was whining the blues our whole conversation how "if you don't get birds the day of the release they ALL get killed within one day by owls, hawks, falcons, and coyotes" so they must be a real challenge to hunt!!!! I have shot them on my farms and they were like shooting a grouse:roll: the beaks were cut off and the tail feathers were all bent and broken! Real trophies!!

Anyways, thats my rant for the season!
On to better things, like turkey's:)
GH

browningboy
02-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Don't mean to go off topic a lttle, but where can one go to hunt pheasents, or am I dreaming?? In the lower mainland keep in mind.8)

zaconb
02-17-2007, 09:37 AM
GH,
Thanks for the response!!! Are you leasing land for your use exclusively or do you have a club?
Don't get me started on turkeys; I'm delaying my move to Vancouver so I can catch the opener in Ontario :twisted:

bogman
02-18-2007, 12:31 AM
I am going to PM you the number of the president.
I have talked (ARGUED) with this guy quite a bit lately!! He probably wishes that I hadn't got his number:-o ! It took three years to get it!
These guy's DO NOT stop and let the farmers know that they are going to hunt their land, alot of the land that is posted with there signs are NOT LEASED to them, and they are a tight knit group that WON'T GIVE YOU the time of day, let alone a number for the club! It is a rich boy's club with a european way of thinking! They say they take on 5 new members a year, that must be sponsered by a member, and pay $500.
The statements above are FACT, because I have been dealing with this issue for the last five years, I have taken matters into my own hands and have begun leasing and posting farms all over my area ( all of which they were supposed to have leases on??) And all of the farms have been happy with the change. No more yahoos driving through fields, leaving blind materials and shell casings on the ground ect.
When I complained to the club about some of the members antics, shooting before legal times, and shooting off the dycke, their response was " we know the guy's you are talking about, but we can't just kick them out or punish them, because they are lawyers." :confused: Wow! great response, luckily the CO had a different oppinion!

As for the phesant hunts??? the president was whining the blues our whole conversation how "if you don't get birds the day of the release they ALL get killed within one day by owls, hawks, falcons, and coyotes" so they must be a real challenge to hunt!!!! I have shot them on my farms and they were like shooting a grouse:roll: the beaks were cut off and the tail feathers were all bent and broken! Real trophies!!

Anyways, thats my rant for the season!
On to better things, like turkey's:)
GH

I was a member of AWP for a number of years when I lived on the coast and you couldn't be more wrong about the the bulk of the members. Like any club there will always be a few jerks. The president is definately not one of those. Actually he is my uncle. Shooting release birds will never be as great as hunting wild, but in Delta and Sumas with all the farming and subdivision encroachment you won't find too many wild birrds anymore. It is tough to get in the club as there is a waiting list. Dollar for dollar it is a good way to get lots of shooting if you want. I hunted pheasants almost every day of the season and while it was fairly easy on release day to get your 2 the rest you had to work at but they were still there. There were very few days that I didn't get at least 1 more and more than often 2. there is very few members who take advantage of the duck and goose hunting land and there are some great spots. in both Delta and Sumas. You are welcome to your opinion but I thought I would ad to this post with an opinion from the other side of the fence.

Greenhead
02-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Bogman, you are right, it only takes a few to ruin it for others! But I am speaking only from my experience with the ones I have dealt with! and have left alot of info out that would sicken most of the sportsman on this site. I'm not sure if the fellow that calls himself the Pres. is your uncle or not but the pheasant remarks I made earlier came right out of his mouth?
Anyway, thanks for your opinion, and beleive me I KNOW that not all of the club can be bad (at least I hope not) so don't be offended.

I only hope my children can go out and shoot a few ducks and pheasants with their kids without having to be a member of some club in the future!

BC rules, just ask anyone in Europe!
GH

costellojoj
02-18-2007, 11:55 PM
I was a member of the AWP for a couple of years when I lived in Abbotsford. It was tough to get in because they do limit the membership. My primary goal for wanting to join was to obtain access to nearby flooded farms for outstanding duck/goose shooting. The pheasant shooting was not that great when I was a member, as the bird flu scare forced the club's bird raisers to cull their breeding stock and they were only able to bring in a reduced number from suppliers outside of the Fraser Valley. A lot of the farms in the valley also did not have large tracts of suitable cover because they were mainly dairy/poultry operations and during harvest they cut pretty well everything right down to the ground. The best cover was along irrigation/drainage ditches. There were also a lot of predators and raised pheasants just don't have the capacity to survive. Once I became a member and met the other club members I found that they were pretty regular guys. I don't know where the idea came from that they were all "rich" or that they were unethical hunters. Although I certainly prefer to hunt wild birds, I was training a couple of young dogs at the time and I was grateful for the opportunity to get them on live birds, without having to spend hours travelling. I'm sure that the sponsorship issue could be easily resolved if you are a member of one of the local guns clubs, as many AWP members also belong to lower mainland/valley clubs.

BowsUp
02-19-2007, 02:40 PM
I was a member of AWP for five years. Pretty good bunch of guys and access to some good land. I was a rookie dog trainer and wanted to get my dog on birds regularly. Funny thing was once my Lab got used to hunting pheasants he sure hated sitting in a blind for ducks.

Next dog its ducks and geese until he's solid and then Upland birds.

AWP provided me with a lot of memorable days afield despite a beaten Winchester pump and a rust-bucket Suburban.

Only grief I ever got from a land owner was for not killing a coyote we bumped on his land. I didn't know the regs for coyote.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties your having, Greenhead. Sounds like some of those members are losing sight of the fact that it is a privilege to hunt those farm fields, not a right.

slyfox
02-19-2007, 09:05 PM
There are still alot of places that a hunter can hunt ducks and pheasants on crownland delta,ladner,chilliwick,abbot i still get pheasants every year on crownland you do have to spend a lot of time out there but if you do your going to find them sooner or later this year i got 9 in the ladner surrey area and for ducks you dont have to get in a club to kill them there all over the place just spend some time walking around b bay and you will see.I do have friends that hunt in awp there great guys and ask me all the time to be a member but 500 dollers for ducks for me is to much and there are wild birds all over the province there are still some wild ph around harrison and the farmers are nice up there and do give permission.As for me right now i enjoy hunting wild birds and 500 dollers is 2 trips for pheasant,chuker.quail and huns but maybe when im older i would join awp as a farmed pheasant is better then no pheasant!