PDA

View Full Version : Tuchodi River last fall (Vid)

Rock Doctor
02-14-2007, 09:24 PM
For the people that would like to see a couple clips of Jetboating the Tuchodi River. These were taken around the mouth of Margison Cr.
I posted these links on another Hunting Site a while ago, so some of you have seen them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJu06LBWbb8
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/?action=view&current=Another2006TuchodiClip.flv

browningboy
02-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Thats sweet, How many women can you fit on the boat?? I'll fill you in later!!:lol:

Rock Doctor
02-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Not sure what it would work out to but, I figure that I could get about a tonne of them in there:lol:
Might have to put a couple out on the nose and carry one on my shoulders8)

mark
02-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Love those clips Doc! Cant wait to go play up there one day!

Derek_Erickson
02-17-2007, 09:09 PM
yes, I will be having myself a beauty of a river boat

browningboy
02-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Hey rock, do you have any elk clips up there or where you after moose, have a buddy that hunts the kechicka all the time, but heard the tuchodi is wicked for elk but a hard river to navigate8)

Rock Doctor
02-18-2007, 03:27 PM
browningboyHey rock, do you have any elk clips up there or where you after moose, have a buddy that hunts the kechicka all the time, but heard the tuchodi is wicked for elk but a hard river to navigate:cool:

I just got into the whole video thing, and only got my Sportscam just before that trip in mid/late Sept. I don't have much footage, no Elk clips:frown: .
Most guys, myself included, are looking for Elk or Sheep up the Tuchodi. Moose can be taken just about anywhere. Any of the local rivers, Muskwa, Prophet, Sikanni, have plenty of them, not to mention all the Cutblocks.
I hear about people that get injured on the Tuchodi every year in little boating mishaps, so Ya, I guess you could say it's a little tricky some times:lol: . I practiced for a couple yrs on other rivers, before I attempted the Tuchodi run.
I enjoy making these little clips, so you might just be seeing more from me in the future.
I do have a few Elk Pics that I may post later, if I can find them.
TTYL

browningboy
02-18-2007, 08:53 PM
I just got into the whole video thing, and only got my Sportscam just before that trip in mid/late Sept. I don't have much footage, no Elk clips:frown: .
Most guys, myself included, are looking for Elk or Sheep up the Tuchodi. Moose can be taken just about anywhere. Any of the local rivers, Muskwa, Prophet, Sikanni, have plenty of them, not to mention all the Cutblocks.
I hear about people that get injured on the Tuchodi every year in little boating mishaps, so Ya, I guess you could say it's a little tricky some times:lol: . I practiced for a couple yrs on other rivers, before I attempted the Tuchodi run.
I enjoy making these little clips, so you might just be seeing more from me in the future.
TTYL

Thats cool, many have said the cops even have a road block of sorts on the river! When your out there, is there alot of jetboats, and what do you do, find a opening/ meadow on the side of the river then make camp or do you just drive up and down until you see them sort of like road hunting??
Just a little curious on what people do.
I guess if you just make camp and call, you're most likely to run into one, must see alot of grizzes as well?

Rock Doctor
02-19-2007, 12:35 PM
browningboyQuote:
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor
TTYL

Thats cool, many have said the cops even have a road block of sorts on the river! When your out there, is there alot of jetboats, and what do you do, find a opening/ meadow on the side of the river then make camp or do you just drive up and down until you see them sort of like road hunting??
Just a little curious on what people do.
I guess if you just make camp and call, you're most likely to run into one, must see alot of grizzes as well?

Yes the Cops/CO's have been setting up "Roadblocks" on the rivers, checking for Lifejackets, Boat Registration's, Alchohol, ect. (Just so you know, If you have a bottle of Spirits with the top cracked, or Beer out of its case (in a Cooler), or even a sealed case of beer, with one empty can in the Boat; this is ALL considered open Alchohol and they WILL take it.)
There can be alot of Boats on the river, depends on where you go and what time of yr it is. (ex. On the Tuchodi/Muskwa in Sept be prepared to see up to 20-30 boats go by camp per day. On the Sikanni/Prophet anytime of the yr you might see 1-2 boats a day, but more likely to see none.
We usually make camp at the Mouth of the Kluachisi R. and walk from there, or jump in the boat and go to a spot close by, then walk from there. There are plenty of people that will nerver walk any farther from the river than they can shoot, so getting one hill back off the water greatly improves your chances.
Don't normally see alot of Grizz, but sign is everywhere. The most I have seen is 5 in one day, and that was on a Sheep hunt. Never did see a Sheep on that trip.

browningboy
02-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Good stuff rock, one day for me but seeing those vids are real cool, thanks.8)

hunter1947
02-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the video ,i always wanted to see some of that river ,looks like open country ,would love to hunt the area. hunter47.

mntman
02-19-2007, 07:11 PM
those are great videos, can't wait to see more

FlyingHigh
03-15-2007, 09:20 AM
looks amazing. wish i had jetboat and the means to get up there. how's the fishing along the river? i would have to wet a line...

Rock Doctor
03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
All the clear running creeks that run into the Muskwa are good fishing (I once caught 3 Dolly's(Bull Trout) in 3 casts, one was 17lbs and the other 2 were 16lbs. This was in the Spring, at the mouth of Sheep Creek.
The fishing in the Tuchodi is very good, from the Mouth (into the Muskwa) all the way up to the upper Lake. I use mostly Flys in the river, and Spinners or Jigs in the lakes (white or blue works well)
Hunting in the Morning/evening, and fishing during the day makes for a pretty good trip.

RD

tuchodi
03-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Hey RockDoctor if you are up the Tuchodi between Sept 15 and Oct 15 stop in for Coffee. We are up there every year and camp just above Deaddog Creek. Just looked at the Video's you have on Photobucket and it brings back good memories.

Rock Doctor
03-16-2007, 02:15 PM
tuchodi
Hey RockDoctor if you are up the Tuchodi between Sept 15 and Oct 15 stop in for Coffee. We are up there every year and camp just above Deaddog Creek. Just looked at the Video's you have on Photobucket and it brings back good memories.
Tuchodi,
Always willing to stop and warm-up, especially once October rolls in. Is there anything specific about your camp that I could use to pick you out of the croud?
EG, Camo Dome Tent, or Color of your Boat, ect.

RD

tuchodi
03-16-2007, 02:43 PM
1/2 mile upstream from the mouth of Dead Dog creek rite across from the first gravel bank. Usually 4 boats parked in the back water.

FlyingHigh
03-17-2007, 02:42 PM
wow...that's all i can say...looks and sounds like paradise. pretty sure i'm gonna be planning a trip up there eventually.

Jagermeister
04-24-2007, 12:01 AM
I enjoyed your Tuchodi River video posting Rock Doctor, seems like quite the rush. The dialogue that is posted to this thread has created a few questions that I would like to pose to you and Tuchodi.
(1) What powers your boats, inboards or outboards and is there a preference? The distance from Dead Dog Creek confluence to the Tochodi confluence with the Muskwa is approximately 32 km, (2) do you travel all the way from Ft Nelson to the Tochodi R or do you use some other drop in point? I'm thinking fuel logistics here as that is a considerable distance from Ft Nelson, it's even quite the distance from around Steamboat Creek or Tetsa River, close to 100km to Dead Dog Creek I would imagine.
(3) Do you have a fuel cache along the way and if so, how do you prevent someone from dipping into your supply or is it just 'good ole backwoods honor system? With 20 to 30 boats torquing up and down the river, that has to add up to a lot of fuel, maybe some one should set up a gas station.
(4) And last but not least, do you know the story behind the naming of Dead Dog Creek?

tuchodi
04-24-2007, 08:18 AM
I enjoyed your Tuchodi River video posting Rock Doctor, seems like quite the rush. The dialogue that is posted to this thread has created a few questions that I would like to pose to you and Tuchodi.
(1) What powers your boats, inboards or outboards and is there a preference? The distance from Dead Dog Creek confluence to the Tochodi confluence with the Muskwa is approximately 32 km,My first trip up the Muskwa in the 60's was with a 50 HP Outboard jet on a 26' Teslin Canoe, we used a lot of gas and it was to say the least very interesting. We traveled all the way from Ft Nelson. I now have a 18' boat with an inboard Mercury SportJet.(2) do you travel all the way from Ft Nelson to the Tochodi R or do you use some other drop in point? I'm thinking fuel logistics here as that is a considerable distance from Ft Nelson, it's even quite the distance from around Steamboat Creek or Tetsa River, close to 100km to Dead Dog Creek I would imagine. We started using an old logging road at Kleado Creek in the late 70's and that is what we use today. It cuts off aprox 50 river miles from Ft Nelson so that helps with our fuel now.
(3) Do you have a fuel cache along the way and if so, how do you prevent someone from dipping into your supply or is it just 'good ole backwoods honor system? With 20 to 30 boats torquing up and down the river, that has to add up to a lot of fuel, maybe some one should set up a gas station. We used to leave fuel along the river in the old days as our boats and motors were not as fuel efficient and the rule of thumb was burn 45 gal's upstream and drop of 20 for down stream. We even used to haul gas in the winter with SkiDoo's from aprox Mile 200 Trutch accross country and leave it at the Muskwa to be picked up next year. We never used to have a problem with any gas left in the old day's but I know of some gas now left by friends just on their way up that have come back and found it used with no note or any indication who used it. Everyone on the river used to help each other out and no one had a problem having their gas used if it was an emergency and there was always a note and some money or a date when they would be back with replacement gas so you wouldn't be caught short yourself, but it seams in todays world you can't trust that to be true. I know it only takes one to make it bad for everyone and I still believe that the large majority of Riverboaters are real good people and I know the ones that stop in our camp for coffee are all great and would or have helped anyone in trouble. We use aprox 100 Gals of gas for each boat when we are up there for the month of Sept and at Ft Nelson's Prices thats a fare hunk of money.
(4) And last but not least, do you know the story behind the naming of Dead Dog Creek? I have asked that question myself and the only person ever to give me an answer was Don Peck(Trapper and Guide) who lived up on the Tuchodi as early as the 40's, he said it was named by the Indians from that region but didnt know the exact story.

Rock Doctor
04-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Tuchodi prety much covered it, so I will just fill in some points from my perspective.

Jagermeister,
(1) What powers your boats, inboards or outboards and is there a preference? My first boat was 16' long and 7'4" wide with a 115/80 hp Outboard jet drive. The boat I run now is 18'4" long and 6' wide with a 175 hp Merc Sport Jet. Having run both, I would have to say that I prefer the inboard SJ, but the OB does have it's place.The distance from Dead Dog Creek confluence to the Tochodi confluence with the Muskwa is approximately 32 km, (2) do you travel all the way from Ft Nelson to the Tochodi R or do you use some other drop in point? Kledo Boat launch, North of FN I'm thinking fuel logistics here as that is a considerable distance from Ft Nelson, it's even quite the distance from around Steamboat Creek or Tetsa River, close to 100km to Dead Dog Creek I would imagine. From the Boat Launch to Tuchodi Lake is 130kms (GPS track), and I do usually leave a bit of fuel along the way.
(3) Do you have a fuel cache along the way and if so, how do you prevent someone from dipping into your supply or is it just 'good ole backwoods honor system? Hide it good, but it all comes down to the Honor System. I have had gas go missing a few times, and I had to "borrow" gas to get home one time from a friends stash. I made a special trip back up the next morning to replace it. (there are a couple guys, that are well known to the locals, that seem to leave a trail of empty gas cans in there wake:mad:. A few yrs ago one of these guys was set up, and he took the bait [Sugared Gas]. He ended up siezing his engine, and not knowing the cause of his engine failure, he had another engine Choppered in to his boat, installed it, and headed home only to sieze that one too:lol: ) With 20 to 30 boats torquing up and down the river, that has to add up to a lot of fuel, maybe some one should set up a gas station. This idea has been tossed around and debated around more than one campfire:lol:. (PS, 20-30 boats is a very low estimate)
(4) And last but not least, do you know the story behind the naming of Dead Dog Creek? No, although I have heard a few conflicting stories)

Jagermeister
04-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the very informative replies Tuchodi and Rock Doctor, great post.
Heart warming to see a badass get his. It's too bad that some schmuck has to take advantage of others to warrant that action, but cest la vie. You mention skidooing fuel in from Trutch, that must have been quite the endeavour.
This brings to mind another question. I think that Rock Doctor mentioned running up to Kluachesi Creek. The question is, does the water flow in the Muskwa diminish substanialy after you pass the Tuchodi? As an after thought, whatever happened to Trutch Mountain Jerry?
Speaking of gas prices, we're $1.109 here in Kamloops yesterday and I did see some diesel priced at $0.999 at the Superstore.
Like everyone else, the Tuchodi area looks like a place that I would like to visit, but it's not very likely to occur unless I get "lotto-lucky". So, if you don't mind, post your videos and I, along with others will get to see the area that way.
Again, thanks for the "ride", we must do it again.

Rock Doctor
04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Jagermeister,
Heart warming to see a badass get his. It's too bad that some schmuck has to take advantage of others to warrant that action, but cest la vie. You mention skidooing fuel in from Trutch, that must have been quite the endeavour.
This brings to mind another question. I think that Rock Doctor mentioned running up to Kluachesi Creek. The question is, does the water flow in the Muskwa diminish substanialy after you pass the Tuchodi? Not substantially, but you will notice that there is less. You will really start to notice it when you get above where Reimer Creek and Puder Creek run into the Muskwa. It's still easily navigable beyond this point, but IMHO, this is where you really start to notice the lack of water. As an after thought, whatever happened to Trutch Mountain Jerry? I have not heard that name in years, don't know.
Speaking of gas prices, we're $1.109 here in Kamloops yesterday and I did see some diesel priced at $0.999 at the Superstore. I use "Marked Fuel" from the UFA, and it's running about $1.02/liter at the moment. (anyone can pull into the UFA and fill up with marked gas, just don't get cought filling your truck)
Like everyone else, the Tuchodi area looks like a place that I would like to visit, but it's not very likely to occur unless I get "lotto-lucky". So, if you don't mind, post your videos and I, along with others will get to see the area that way.
Again, thanks for the "ride", we must do it again. I'm not sure what you have seen from me so far, but I think have 6 vid clips related to the Tuchodi area posted on youtube, and some other stuff as well, enjoy.

On a side note, the Muskwa River has broke up, and I managed to be the first to dump a boat in there this yr. Had to dodge alot of ice flows, but had a ton of fun. 8-)

tuchodi
04-24-2007, 12:37 PM
This brings to mind another question. I think that Rock Doctor mentioned running up to Kluachesi Creek. The question is, does the water flow in the Muskwa diminish substanialy after you pass the Tuchodi? As an after thought, whatever happened to Trutch Mountain Jerry?
Speaking of gas prices, we're $1.109 here in Kamloops yesterday and I did see some diesel priced at $0.999 at the Superstore.
Again, thanks for the "ride", we must do it again.I took gas in 3 differant years back in the early 70's. We used an 1968 Aline SkiDoo twin track to break trail. Never even thought of pictures back then we just were played out pulling and pushing and keeping warm as we always got lots of snow and one trip it was around minus 35 every day. There is still quite a bit of water in the Muskwa a long way above the Tuchodi (as the tuchodi is somtimes call a creek). I havent been passed the Big Bend on the Muskwa for about 20 years so not sure how it is now, maybe RockDoctor can comment. As for Trutch Jerry I saw him aprox 10 years ago when we stopped in Whisky Point in the Pine Pass. He has purchased the Restauant motel there and was doing very well (he was as Big as life).