PDA

View Full Version : Bear with a bow

Mini_Me
02-12-2007, 05:41 PM
I was wondering how draw weight should there be on a bow to take a bear. Right now my bow is around 45- 50 lbs and I was wondering if it would be such a good idea? Or should I just stick with a gun?

Tinney
02-12-2007, 05:44 PM
You can do it. If you can go up to 50-55 do it, but if that is the most you can comfortably pull, have at er. Just think about what distance you're comfortable shooting at. With that poundage, anything over 40m is probably starting to stretch it. I shoot 55lbs and have never felt the need to shoot at a higher poundage.

Bow Walker
02-12-2007, 06:00 PM
:idea: For a blackie I think that would be good enough - although if you can handle a tad higher poundage, that's even better.

At around 50 lbs your shot placement will be the key to having a freezer full of sausage and pepperoni.........or being a snack for the bruin.:shock:

Just for safety sake, why not take along a buddy that you haven't P.O'd lately?? Ask him to back you up with a rifle or shotgun with some serious "knock down"

Being up close an personal with a hungry spring bear can sometimes be a touchy situation.:|

Tinney
02-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Backup is a good idea :lol:

sealevel
02-12-2007, 06:21 PM
You will be fine with that poundage just use a good cut on contact broadhead. Like a montec or muzzy or my faverate magnuss stingers.

Mini_Me
02-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Great I only have muzzys.
Yeah I deffinetly want bring back up becase I think it would be a little hard to do a range finder on a boar running up to you.:)

Tinney
02-12-2007, 06:37 PM
If hes running at you make sure he gets real close, then put one right in his yapper :lol:

Bow Walker
02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
I've heard that there are basically only two things you can do if a big ole bruin is charging....
1. Bend over at the waist - as far as you can - and kiss your ass goodbye.

2. If you have a backup gun - and can unlimber it in time - aim for his/her shoulders. One shot in each to break the bones and force it to stop and stand, instead of coming at you on all fours. Then you may have the necessary time to perform step number one.

jessbennett
02-13-2007, 10:53 PM
montecs, wac'ems, boss bullets, all good heads.