PDA

View Full Version : Hewescraft boats

Johnnybear
02-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Anyone own a Hewescraft boat or ridden in one? I just would like to hear some good or bad things about them. I heard they are the best bang for your buck for a "production" welded aluminum boat.

Jetboater
02-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Johny bear it really depends on what you are doing with it if you use it as a river boat be careful, they use a 3 stringer hull that ends before the bend of the bow, so they are really prone to beer canning, they also do not rbber washer anything so corrosion is very common in dissimilar metals, they use 1/8 inch bottom and even thinner sides, if you are going sport jet get some ear muffs!!!. if you are using it as a saltwater boat, dont go out in really rough water because of the beer can effect.

mark
02-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Johny bear it really depends on what you are doing with it if you use it as a river boat be careful, they use a 3 stringer hull that ends before the bend of the bow, so they are really prone to beer canning, they also do not rbber washer anything so corrosion is very common in dissimilar metals, they use 1/8 inch bottom and even thinner sides, if you are going sport jet get some ear muffs!!!. if you are using it as a saltwater boat, dont go out in really rough water because of the beer can effect.

Is that yer nice way of saying they suck?

Johnnybear
02-12-2007, 07:20 PM
I think it was:lol: . I was interested in the new 22' Ocean Pro Hard top model. I read that this model (22' Searunner family) is the top selling aluminum boat in Alaska (i.e rough conditions). If this is true then they can't be all that bad.

SHAKER
02-13-2007, 06:27 PM
These opinions could be byist, with some people promoting their own boats:smile:

Johnnybear
02-13-2007, 09:22 PM
I hear you Shaker, that's why I asked if anyone owned or has ridden in one. There seems to be alot of brand bashing in the "production" welded aluminum boat market. The only reason I'm interested in this kind of boat is that I don't have time to build one myself (which I have the skill and resources to do so) and I don't have the dough to have a custom one from Daigle, Lifetimer, or Silverstreak built for me.

I have to agree with the comment about the Hewes Sportjet's being on the light side for river use but their ocean boats seem to be well made and very functional.

shoot to kill
02-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Thomas' points about the hewescraft were dead on, they are indeed a "tin can". they are finished nicely though. personally i would not own one, if you ever hit something in it, you may regret it as the aluminum is thin. theres a plethora of boats out there, north river, thunderjet,outlaw,duckwworth,harbercraft,customwel d,sidewinder,alicraft etc. take a test drive in a few different boats and find the one you like not the one someone else ddoes.

SHAKER
02-17-2007, 03:54 PM
What is the price difference compared to some other brands????

Johnnybear
02-17-2007, 07:08 PM
I have been comparing them to the island custom's like Lifetimer, Quaycraft etc.
A 22' Searunner Hard Top, rear steering station, and Extended Transom is around the 45 thousand range c/w tandom trailer and 150 yamy.
A 22' Lifetimer Hard Top that is in stock right now is 52 thousand without power or trailer.
A 22' Quaycraft Cabin model is about 46 thousand with out power or trailer.

The only thing close is a 21' Northriver Seahawk (which I like as well)c/w canvas top and tandem trailer and a 150 for about 47 thousand. The difference being the hard top and 1/16 thinner bottom on the Hewes.
The Hewes has 3/16 bottom and 1/8 sides
The Northriver has 1/4" bottom and 1/8 sides.

The Hewes Searunners have supports all the way up the bow and the bow recess is welded to the hull (there is no way these can cave in)not like most others that are just hung by the gunnel. I am not talking about jet boats here and I agree with other comments (I'm assuming are) about the Hewes jet boats. I mainly use a boat on the ocean for fishing, prawning, and exploring.

Jetboater
02-18-2007, 11:27 AM
shaker have you test driven any hewescraft.!!!! Yes I have driven all of the hewescraft lineup, after touring the plant!!!, like I have test driven 27 other boat companies, every boat they make in the lineup, so sorry if I feel like I have an opinion, talk to the alaska dealers who fix all the hewescrafts out there. because yes even the saltwater lineup has beer canning issues, honestly the stongest part on a hewescraft is the swim grid,
really I dont care what boat you buy and yes I have a right to voice my opinion, I am in the boat business. you can buy a lot nicer used boat on the market and still lock in financing than buy a hewescraft.

I dont think you can put a hewescraft and a northriver in the same sentence. the northriver will have a better fit and finish and way better support team when the shit hits the fan. bottom line is you get what you pay for, if you are willing to put your family in a lesser quality boat thats your provocative. dont forget a boat is an investment that you dont want to make in another couple of years. you will always loose money trading a boat in after a couple of years.

Shaker you are right it is a biased opinion, until you ride in one of my boats I dont think you can have a a say.

Johnnybear
02-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks for all the response's. I think I will do a little research on this beer canning issue and I think I will phone some of the dealers and welding shops in Alaska and ask some questions. As far as the implying that I would put my family a risk by buying an inferior boat..... I'll bite my tongue and just say I find that comment off base. My other option is to just wait it out and buy something not "production" that is built like a brick s*%t house and not have to worry about these type of problems. Thanks again.
JB

Jetboater
02-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Johnybear I wasnt taking a shot at you , but do your research a little more, there is a reason they are so inexpensive. look around for a used boat in your area or look down south at some used boats,if you want some help let me know. I can help you find some good deals if you are interested in.

abbyfireguy
02-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Look south,,our American cousins trade there stuff off regularly and used US boats are way cheaper down there...
I would be hard pressed to be happy with a Hewescraft,,as several have said here ,there's a reason they are so cheap...Build time and material costs,period,plain and simple....
I'm fussy with aluminum boat quality and know what a strong well engineered boat looks like from the inside,and, crawling around inside several Hewesceaft boats, I found less of what I expected...

SHAKER
02-20-2007, 12:09 PM
shaker have you test driven any hewescraft.!!!! Yes I have driven all of the hewescraft lineup, after touring the plant!!!, like I have test driven 27 other boat companies, every boat they make in the lineup, so sorry if I feel like I have an opinion, talk to the alaska dealers who fix all the hewescrafts out there. because yes even the saltwater lineup has beer canning issues, honestly the stongest part on a hewescraft is the swim grid,
really I dont care what boat you buy and yes I have a right to voice my opinion, I am in the boat business. you can buy a lot nicer used boat on the market and still lock in financing than buy a hewescraft.

I dont think you can put a hewescraft and a northriver in the same sentence. the northriver will have a better fit and finish and way better support team when the shit hits the fan. bottom line is you get what you pay for, if you are willing to put your family in a lesser quality boat thats your provocative. dont forget a boat is an investment that you dont want to make in another couple of years. you will always loose money trading a boat in after a couple of years.

Shaker you are right it is a biased opinion, until you ride in one of my boats I dont think you can have a a say.

Ouch! Don't be so sensitive Thomas, I'm wasn't knocking you line of boats, they are sweet and your right you do get what you pay for. I have quit look'n at boats do to the cactus patch I live in now. So It would be nice to here the opinion of someone who doesn't need a fully polished, shinny, air ride, bullet proof, bad-ass boat! Some of us can't justify the $$$ but those who can great, I didn't realize the Hewescraft were that expensive- I was under the impression they were a low line boat so the price (Stupid me) would be the same. So if it makes you feel better I'm sorry, But to not think I can have a say- Yeah right, and I'll tell that to your face!

hunterhenderson
09-29-2009, 07:23 PM
So fellas...... Ive owned a wooldridge,harbourcraft,northriver and a sidewinder, I currently own a 20 foot hewescraft 200hp sportjet that gets regularly pounded up and down the kootenay river as well as many lakes, carrying, deer, elk and quads,for those of you that actually belive the garbage on the post, good for you, for the others, let me say this, i wouldnt trade my hewes for anything, i did my research and spoke to many of a river runner and ocean goer, for the money you wont get a better built better handliing boat!! For the guy who said they are loud.......wtf?? My boat at 45 miles an hour with 4 guys screaming up white water is quiet enogh for two guys to stand at the windshield and chat!!As we did sunday bringing out my sons elk!!

tough, inexpensive,fast and dependable!!

Bought it new loaded withn suspension seats, full top, washdown, twin wipers,cab heater,tandem swing tongue trailer and 5 year warr for $30000

For thoses who dont own one.........time to sit down!!

HH

Franko Manini
09-30-2009, 11:16 PM
I've ridden in, driven, and researched several welded aluminum boats varying in length from 16 to 32 feet. I have some opinions on which boat would be best for me, but it mostly comes down to design and layout. Honestly, production welding techniques and alloys formulations are so good, and competition is so extreme these days, that if the boat was made inside the last 10 years, it's probably darn good. I bet there isn't 10% difference in quality between all boat manufacurers of any size these days.

As for the "beer canning" effect... there is not a SINGLE DOCUMENTED instance of this happening to a production boat manufactured after 2000. As far as I can tell, it's an internet/urban myth. I challenge anyone on this or any other site to provide reasonable documentation of this occuring to any production welded aluminum boat made after 2000. I put this challenge up on other forums and to date, I have had only one response.

Someone sent me pictures of a rivitted boat that had been GROSSLY overpowered and beat into a serious chop on plane. Here's the kicker. It was an Aroliner! Aroliner went out of business in the 1960s.

Johnnybear
09-30-2009, 11:48 PM
So fellas...... Ive owned a wooldridge,harbourcraft,northriver and a sidewinder, I currently own a 20 foot hewescraft 200hp sportjet that gets regularly pounded up and down the kootenay river as well as many lakes, carrying, deer, elk and quads,for those of you that actually belive the garbage on the post, good for you, for the others, let me say this, i wouldnt trade my hewes for anything, i did my research and spoke to many of a river runner and ocean goer, for the money you wont get a better built better handliing boat!! For the guy who said they are loud.......wtf?? My boat at 45 miles an hour with 4 guys screaming up white water is quiet enogh for two guys to stand at the windshield and chat!!As we did sunday bringing out my sons elk!!

tough, inexpensive,fast and dependable!!

Bought it new loaded withn suspension seats, full top, washdown, twin wipers,cab heater,tandem swing tongue trailer and 5 year warr for $30000

For thoses who dont own one.........time to sit down!!

HH

I've ridden in, driven, and researched several welded aluminum boats varying in length from 16 to 32 feet. I have some opinions on which boat would be best for me, but it mostly comes down to design and layout. Honestly, production welding techniques and alloys formulations are so good, and competition is so extreme these days, that if the boat was made inside the last 10 years, it's probably darn good. I bet there isn't 10% difference in quality between all boat manufacurers of any size these days.

As for the "beer canning" effect... there is not a SINGLE DOCUMENTED instance of this happening to a production boat manufactured after 2000. As far as I can tell, it's an internet/urban myth. I challenge anyone on this or any other site to provide reasonable documentation of this occuring to any production welded aluminum boat made after 2000. I put this challenge up on other forums and to date, I have had only one response.

Someone sent me pictures of a rivitted boat that had been GROSSLY overpowered and beat into a serious chop on plane. Here's the kicker. It was an Aroliner! Aroliner went out of business in the 1960s.

Well if this isn't digging deep into the archives:lol:. I like it. Thank you both of you for digging and posting. I found the same thing researching aluminum boats for almost 2 years before buying another one (I already owned one). Alot of smack is spread around the internet and as Franko posted the competition is extreme enough that someone actually said I would be putting my family in danger by buying a Hewes:roll:. Best salesmanship I have seen in along time on the internet:???:.

Well I didn't buy a Hewes in the end (almost did from Tom and Jerry's in WA). I ended up with a TANK by the likes of Edwing (Chinook WA). 1/4" sides and bottom. The only other shop I have heard of doing this is Tom Mack's (B.C.). The kicker for me was the self bailing deck.

The competition seems most extreme with the jet boats and it makes one shake there head sometimes with the crap spewed around out there on the internet. I guess it's the same with alot of stuff quads, bikes, trucks, etc. There are alot more choices with boats how ever so the competion is that much more extreme I guess:???:.