PDA

View Full Version : URGENT- game meat donations for fundraising dinner for the less fortunate this Friday

onpoint
01-15-2014, 05:33 PM
David Booth is organizing a dinner for 1000-1500 less fortunate individuals in downtown Vancouver Friday night and they are in desperate need of game meat as they are well shy of the amount they need. I'll be donating some elk and venison and thought this was a great opportunity for the members of HBC and hunters as a whole to step up and show what hunters are made of. They want only solid cuts and any donated amount is appreciated. Email me direct at adam.janke@outlook.com if you're interested as I'm running low on space for PM's.

rocksteady
01-15-2014, 06:14 PM
If hes begging, I can offer up a couple elk roasts, in return for a pair of row one tickets on the blue line, against the Blackhawks.... Fair is fair!

luckofthedraw
01-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Got skunked this year so no can do. Is there a link anywhere. How were you informed?

onpoint
01-15-2014, 06:31 PM
No link that I know of, posted on Twitter a couple weeks back. I just spoke with the guy who's coordinating it and he let me know they were short on meat, hence the post on here.

bandit
01-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Will they take waterfowl? Or is it big game only?

M.Dean
01-15-2014, 07:22 PM
I've always wondered why, with all the problems most City's are having with all the bloody Geese ripping out every blade of grass in the parks all winter and leaving nothing but there crap, why don't they trap a few thousand every winter to feed the less fortunate people??? The Geese numbers are totally out of control, and why not use the Deer that are being Culled to feed the hungry also??? Would that be too easy of a answer for the Government to figger out?

onpoint
01-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Will they take waterfowl? Or is it big game only?

Will find out bandit, thanks for reaching out. I know they're most lacking in elk and venison and are wanting solid cuts mostly (roasts, stew, steaks) as they have someone preparing a menu and they don't have many donations for these meats/cuts. The better cuts I know but I think for the cause I don't mind sparing a roast or two and some stew meat.

rocksteady
01-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Quick google search.... Booth makes $4.5 MILLION per year, imho he can call an Alberta elk ranch and get a truckload of t-bones shipped on his credit card :)

onpoint
01-15-2014, 08:01 PM
If hes begging, I can offer up a couple elk roasts, in return for a pair of row one tickets on the blue line, against the Blackhawks.... Fair is fair!

I'll get you those tix if you tell me where all the big bulls are in the EK. Fair is fair.

onpoint
01-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Quick google search.... Booth makes $4.5 MILLION per year, imho he can call an Alberta elk ranch and get a truckload of t-bones shipped on his credit card :)

Solid contribution thus far Rocksteady...keep it up.

BiG Boar
01-15-2014, 08:15 PM

As he was ridiculed for hunting by the press. I think he's trying to put something out there to say that hunters help out, and actually take the meat, and it is very good. This could be a good opportunity for the hunting community.

BCBear
01-15-2014, 08:20 PM
I don't think it was the press that ridiculed him, but rather the public who were mostly unaware of bear baiting rules in specific jurisdictions.

M.Dean
01-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Quick google search.... Booth makes $4.5 MILLION per year, imho he can call an Alberta elk ranch and get a truckload of t-bones shipped on his credit card :) Jeez, David Booth, if you do read some of these comments, please note that not everyone here thinks that simply because you, and your family took the time,sweat and money for you to follow a dream of becoming a NHL Star, and made it, seem to think you should be paying for this wonderful event yourself! I'd think you'd have enough to do with the Hockey Season in full swing, but for you to help out folks that are a hell'va lot less privileged than any of us is Fantastic Sir! And hopefully Hunters from all over B.C. will help you out with such a massive show of respect for all people, no matter how they live,or what there Income!!! My Hat's off to you David Booth! M.Dean.

onpoint
01-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Just heard back from the guy coordinating all this, they are mainly looking for elk and venison. Someone has stepped up with a good amount of moose. Thanks to those that have been in touch!

f350ps
01-15-2014, 08:56 PM
What Booth makes has absolutely nothing to do with what he's promoting here, he took a beating by the media for killing a bear so this gesture benefits not only the less fortunate but the hunting community as well!! K

islander7mm
01-15-2014, 08:58 PM
This sounds like a great opportunity to get some good will and respect from an ill informed general public in the lower mainland.
I'd be in for sure but am on the island.

bruin
01-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Wish I could help but all I've got is some rutty mulie and bear meat. If they'll take bear, I've got abot 6 quarters.

recoil
01-15-2014, 09:22 PM
I can donate about 15lbs of deer and 15lbs of moose various cuts, PM if interested. The butcher did not label my WT vs. muley so I have no idea which one you would be getting..

rocksteady
01-15-2014, 10:37 PM
What Booth makes has absolutely nothing to do with what he's promoting here, he took a beating by the media for killing a bear so this gesture benefits not only the less fortunate but the hunting community as well!! K

The more you make, the more you can give.

Just sayin...

He makes more in one season than you would make in 45 years, working at the same job, assuming you made $100k per year, which I doubt, not many in that tax bracket.

I agree with feeding the needy... I have, in a successful season, taken a complete deer, cut and wrapped by a butcher, at my cost, to the food bank.

onpoint
01-15-2014, 10:46 PM
This sounds like a great opportunity to get some good will and respect from an ill informed general public in the lower mainland.
I'd be in for sure but am on the island.

Thanks islander7mm...appreciate the moral support anyways.

onpoint
01-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Wish I could help but all I've got is some rutty mulie and bear meat. If they'll take bear, I've got abot 6 quarters.

They're set up for bear apparently bruin but thanks for the offer. I don't think they're too picky on the venison...they have a chef doing prep so he'll probably dress it up with something to make it palatable. Drop me a line at the email I listed if you still want to contribute.

bccanadian
01-16-2014, 07:07 AM
All I got was tag soup this year. I don't think anyone would want that.

Danny
01-16-2014, 09:38 AM
I’m prob going to get flamed for this comment but … They should have all the “less fortunate’s” take a piss test before partaking in this because I for one wouldn’t feel too happy about seeing my hard earned game meat being given to a bunch of thieving drug addicts . If this is some other user group then it’s a great idea !!
Sorry if I offended anyone but ???

BiG Boar
01-16-2014, 11:33 AM
I think you should be made to take a piss test every pay day. By your comments on here it seems you abuse drugs and alcohol.

Danny
01-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Lol ok ! No prob any time !

onpoint
01-16-2014, 11:07 PM
So as of this afternoon it looks like they have everything they need, thanks for the most to part to contributions from members of HBC.

Thanks to everyone that was in touch with me and stepped up to the plate as well as those that said they would have supported but weren't local. For ages hunters and outdoorsmen have provided for their families and their communities and it's good to see that this tradition of providing for others less fortunate or capable still runs deep within our ranks.

Cheers!

Salmon Belly
01-17-2014, 09:24 PM
Here's a link for more info - is the dinner today or Sunday? Good job on getting the word out Onpoint.

http://www.uniquestorageandorganizers.com/hunting-humanity-wild-game-community-dinner-vancouver/

coach
01-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Well done, Onpoint! I hope the evening is a great success. Looking forward to a full report. :-D

onpoint
01-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Here's a link for more info - is the dinner today or Sunday? Good job on getting the word out Onpoint.

http://www.uniquestorageandorganizers.com/hunting-humanity-wild-game-community-dinner-vancouver/

Thanks for posting SB, for once you out-researched me!

onpoint
01-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Well done, Onpoint! I hope the evening is a great success. Looking forward to a full report. :-D

Thanks Coach but to be clear I'm not organizing this...just heard about it through the grapevine and planned to donate some of my stock from the beginning. When I heard they were running low on donations and were going to have a hard time feeding the size of group they expected, I thought it was worth putting the word out to the members of HBC. And a good number of guys stepped up right away!

I hope to make the event on Sunday but if not I'll make sure to get a full report from the organizers and let everyone know how it went.

bc sportsman
01-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Hey Onpoint...well done. Saw Global TV with Randene Neil this afternoon...great coverage. You've done more for hunting in BC than anything I can think of recently. I recall hearing a story about how a group was cleaning up the dykes in Richmond (Perhaps group from Wild Ducks or another related group of hunters). The news station that was contacted to come and report on it apparently refused because the story promoted hunters. Not certain how true the story is but regardless, your efforts are outstanding for both hunting and for those in need in the DTES of Vancouver.

I called Global TV just now and spoke with a live person, thanked them for the positive coverage. I also just posted favorable comments about the story on BC Global's website. http://globalnews.ca/news/1093169/more-than-1000-people-from-dtes-dine-on-wild-game-hunters-for-humanity/

bc sportsman
01-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Who were the organizers for this event?

keoke
01-19-2014, 10:09 PM
My friend Adam helped a lot to put this event together. He was the guy in the video talking about the benefits of organic meat

bruin
01-19-2014, 10:18 PM
Great program, well done guys!

pescado
01-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Well done. Good for Mr. Booth and the rest for getting it going. Hope its well received and covered.

onpoint
01-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Hey Onpoint...well done. Saw Global TV with Randene Neil this afternoon...great coverage. You've done more for hunting in BC than anything I can think of recently. I recall hearing a story about how a group was cleaning up the dykes in Richmond (Perhaps group from Wild Ducks or another related group of hunters). The news station that was contacted to come and report on it apparently refused because the story promoted hunters. Not certain how true the story is but regardless, your efforts are outstanding for both hunting and for those in need in the DTES of Vancouver.

I called Global TV just now and spoke with a live person, thanked them for the positive coverage. I also just posted favorable comments about the story on BC Global's website. http://globalnews.ca/news/1093169/more-than-1000-people-from-dtes-dine-on-wild-game-hunters-for-humanity/

bc sportsman thanks for posting the video link and great to see the media actually gave us hunters a fair report for once. As keoke mentioned his friend Adam and David Booth were the guys behind this...they're the ones that put in all the leg work to make it happen. All I did was contribute from my own stock and help put Adam in touch with the HBC members that stepped up to donate...donations that were essential to the success of the event.

They served 1300 people yesterday! That's a hell of a turnout and it wouldn't have been possible without the HBCers that were willing to get involved (you know who you are). I heard from Booth personally last night and he said if it wasn't for us they would have been way short so this was a team effort if there ever was one.

Maybe something we HBCers should consider getting involved with every year? Be pretty hard for the antis to get on us when in one day we do more for less fortunate members of our communities than any of them do in a year sipping lattes at Starbucks and posting their bullsh#t opinions on Twitter!

Philcott
01-21-2014, 08:27 AM
It would be nice to have a little advance warning if it's done next year so there is a bit more time to get some meat over to Vancouver.

Good on you all for stepping up to the plate and good on David for coming up with the idea.

bc sportsman
01-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Hey Onpoint...re HBC event....count me in...just need a couple months notice cause I would like to not only contribute meat but also my help if needed. If you have all the help you need then I will contribute with meat. Live in Blind Bay (Salmon Arm area) but just moved from Lower Mainland. Used to do a lot of work in the DTES. I go to Vancouver often for business so can make this work with notice.

Gateholio
01-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Good work onpoint!

onpoint
01-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Hey Onpoint...re HBC event....count me in...just need a couple months notice cause I would like to not only contribute meat but also my help if needed. If you have all the help you need then I will contribute with meat. Live in Blind Bay (Salmon Arm area) but just moved from Lower Mainland. Used to do a lot of work in the DTES. I go to Vancouver often for business so can make this work with notice.

I've been hearing from a number of people that want to get involved again next year. The guy who organized this wants to make it an annual event so I'll get some more info and get a new thread up so we can get the planning started earlier next time. Maybe we can double the number served!

onpoint
01-21-2014, 09:45 PM
It would be nice to have a little advance warning if it's done next year so there is a bit more time to get some meat over to Vancouver.

Good on you all for stepping up to the plate and good on David for coming up with the idea.

Thanks Philcott, I only found out myself a few days before the event that they were running short. I've let the guy organizing know that there's a lot of interest from members of this site and other groups and we're here to help/contribute/plan as needed.

oldersniper
01-22-2014, 04:13 PM
The Guises Assoc has tons of it. They get meat from trophy hunters who don't take the meat with them... worth a try