PDA

View Full Version : Blind Design

The Hermit
01-14-2014, 02:13 PM
I'm starting to design a layout style blind with the notion of making and selling a few if they work out. So what are some features that you wouldn't do without and some nice to haves?

We have lots of aluminum and plan to use it for a basic folding frame. Will use high quality heavy duty waterproof material for the floor and a water proof camo nylon upper with the standard two pop open doors. Will have lots of loops for adding local straw and weed as natural camo, and probably thermos and cup holders too. Would a foam box to hold shells be useful, it could velcro to either left or right walls?

I'm thinking about incorporating a modified commercial patio lounger that has an adjustable back. Anyone use anything like that before? Good idea or no? Getting comfortable with my messed up back has been a challenge and sitting semi reclined with looking around causes me neck pain and grief later in the day so having an easy adjust will alleviate the issue.

Anticipate it being about 78" long and wedge shape 24" at the back and 18" at the foot section. How wide? 30 - 36"? Target price around $100. plus lounger with should be around $50.

Cheers,

BT

GoatGuy
01-14-2014, 03:04 PM
bartender and a beer holder

xfactor
01-14-2014, 03:17 PM
is your intention to design it for use for waterfowl?

interested to see concept designs. any thoughts on making it for multiple people with a dog possibly?

BiG Boar
01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Id love something with more lower back support. I have two different blinds and both suck for that.

The Hermit
01-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Yes waterfowl use, yes lower back support. Possible dog area but working on single person design first. Alcohol and guns not promoting that one Jesse but put what ever you want in that thermos! LOL

BiG Boar
01-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Also, you might want to make it real wide. Most duck hunters tend to be on the chubby side.

Dutch
01-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Multiple people with dog would love to see that on youtube lol

GoatGuy
01-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Yes waterfowl use, yes lower back support. Possible dog area but working on single person design first. Alcohol and guns not promoting that one Jesse but put what ever you want in that thermos! LOL

the beer holder is for your non-hunting long lost twin. You know he only road hunts.

TheProvider
01-14-2014, 05:51 PM
I would make the waterproof material for the bottom come up the sides 5"-6" for those saturated fields. Some people like flagging holes.

Possibly hooks on the inside that could be moved to either side. Too hold hold your gun when not in use( gun rack.) Mucky fields normally make the inside of your layout blind bottom mucky after a few retrievals. Slow period during the hunt it will keep you gun out of the muck and save it from laying on top of you. Hook midway down the barrel and one near the the butt stock. See a lot of people leave their gun inside the layout with the muzzle sticking up and out near the feet. Then when they are getting in and out they are always steeping over it and trying not to trip ovet it.

Ron.C
01-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Bill,

you know I'm in, sans back lounger. As far as size, you know my stature. Will it come in a youth model:-D

P.S. you in for one last duck shoot this weekend?

The Hermit
01-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Ron - Yep just say the word.

limit time
01-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Light as possible with straps to carry like a Back pack. O, and a mesh sack to carry the decoys in.

I can also field test for you:mrgreen:

Cdn-Redneck
01-18-2014, 07:19 PM
In the market for a layout blind next season so will be keeping an eye on this thread. The Harcore man cave looks like a good blind and Avery finisher also.

wos
01-18-2014, 09:12 PM
The two big ones have bean mentioned water proof bottom and back pack straps. Doors that latch closed so you can stuff it with a dozen decoys and a separate pouch to transport robo duck in would be a nice feature. I miss the old days of a bag of decoys and a shotgun. Now I have all this gear I need to pack.

Cdn-Redneck
01-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Another feature to go with the back straps would be a waist strap if there is going to be a way to pack decoys built into this blind

f350ps
01-18-2014, 11:38 PM
Why not just buy a Northern Flight Ultimate, they've got pretty much everything you have mentioned and I just bought my 2nd one for $159 at Cabellas a few weeks ago, tough to make one for that. Jmho, K

Kudu
01-20-2014, 11:32 AM
Improve on this one - make it lighter, portable and waterproof - you will have the winner.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/d4ff1cb4171c4daf049d5e2bb463c1ae_zpse4bff61d.jpg

lorneparker1
01-20-2014, 01:39 PM
you don't consider the finisher portable?

The Hermit
01-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Okay I think we have a far superior material than the PCV used in all the other blinds I've found so far... PVC is waterproof and cheap but we have a material that is way lighter, very durable, waterproof, it is grey not black, and most important improvement is that it remains flexible when cold... so it will fold up smaller and easier.

Working on a minimalist-frame design with foot loop, back support with 4" memory foam for the back rest and seat. The blind would be staked out like a tent, still quick and easy to set up and get in out of. The whole thing will fold up to about 24" long, 20" wide and 20" high and fold out to 6' long. Hope to have one made up in a couple months. :mrgreen:

303Brit
01-27-2014, 06:57 PM
looking forward to seeing this, I love people's ingeunity

The Hermit
04-30-2015, 07:13 PM
Sigh, I haven't entirely given up on this project but getting my tent guy to devote a half day to a new project is near impossible! Maybe for next season/....

ACB
04-30-2015, 09:14 PM
You Do realize your talking about the top of the line Cabela's layout blind. 8" of free board & waterproof, Unless its raining real hard then it's a aquarium.

Dutch Ppoacher
05-01-2015, 07:59 AM
A ten to fourteen inch zippered opening at the bottem (by feet) makes cleaning out spent hulls a snap

what blinds have you used that are made out of pvc tubing?

Wild one
05-01-2015, 08:34 AM
Make it over 6 feet long more like 6'6. Most of the guys I hunt with are over 6'(my self included) and it drives us nuts that everything is built for guys 6' and shorter.

Some days I wish I could shrink 3 inches.