PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Lake Elk Transplant

GoatGuy
01-07-2014, 02:15 PM
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/two-dozen-elk-released-near-harrison-lake-in-repopulation-effort-1.1618985

Published Sunday, January 5, 2014 6:41PM PST
Last Updated Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:13AM PST It was an emotional sendoff as biologists and volunteers released two dozen Roosevelt elk deep into the forest west of Harrison Lake Sunday afternoon.
The animals hadn’t been seen in the eastern Fraser Valley area for decades after being hunted to near-extinction.
“It’s another feeling, it’s a sense of relief really,” said provincial wildlife biologist Darryl Reynolds. “It’s somewhat emotional in that we’ve been through a lot of ups and downs. There’s been a lot of anxiety in terms of baiting the elk.”
Photos http://bc.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1618991%21/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_225/image.jpg (http://bc.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1618991%21/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg)

Elk stand in a trailer before being released into the forest west of Harrison Lake Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014. (CTV)

The Sts’ailes nation were in attendance to thank Reynolds and crew for their efforts restoring the elk population to the south coast.
“It’s a monumental day for our community and also for our ecosystem,” said band member Kelsey Charlie. “My grandfather hunted elk, my dad got to see the elk when he was growing up, and we’ve never had the opportunity to do that.”
The animals were relocated from Sechelt, where their strong numbers make them somewhat of a nuisance for locals.
“There are elk that frequent the highways as well as people’s backyards, so what we’re doing is managing that population,” Reynolds said.
A program to relocate the Sechelt elk began in 2000 and Reynolds said the animals have been successfully adapting to their new mainland homes.
They’re expected to reproduce quickly, helping to maintain opportunities for First Nations hunters and guides in the Eastern Fraser Valley.
Elk hunting is not permitted in the area currently.
Researchers have fitted a handful of the elk with high-tech collars that will report their movements, giving a window into the creature’s lives.
Hunting the animals is prohibited in the area, and is only allowed on a limited basis in other areas.
More than 500 elk have been moved to nearly 30 release sites on the south coast, according to Reynolds.
Since the turn of the last century, their population of hundreds of millions has fallen to just over 100,000 elk in North America.

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/two-dozen-elk-released-near-harrison-lake-in-repopulation-effort-1.1618985#ixzz2pkXIEfEz

GoatGuy
01-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Video starts @ about 6:35

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?binId=1.1184759

adriaticum
01-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Thanks GoatGuy

Just that clip.
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=269701

There is Shaun Hollingsworth. Didn't know he was involved in this.

Blainer
01-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Funny, as they were up the west side of Harrison in Dec., during hunting season?
Was there a previous release?
Something not adding up?

Fella
01-07-2014, 02:49 PM
There's been elk up there for a few years now

adriaticum
01-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Funny, as they were up the west side of Harrison in Dec., during hunting season?
Was there a previous release?
Something not adding up?

There have been releases there before.
There is a big sign up there warning of the elk in the area.
Everything adds up ok, but elk are still being poached there.

hunterjeff719
01-07-2014, 02:56 PM
I had heard of some elk being released up there a few months back as well. hopefully the project succeeds.

Big Lew
01-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Hopefully this transplanting exercise is very successful....but I couldn't help but notice that it stated future hunting possibilities were for Natives and Guides. What about the regular hunting persons that pay the majority of the funding to make it possible? Will there be future limited hunting for the rest of us similar to Vancouver Island, or is it for just a select few?

BradB
01-07-2014, 03:36 PM
There were a decent number released last year as well. If they were there in hunting season, that's a good sign

limit time
01-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Why should the GUIDES have "opportunity" over residents??? It goes to show... RESIDENTS DON'T MATTER!!!

fowl language
01-07-2014, 07:43 PM
it is time to take a step back and read Darryl,s words more carefully please. I have signed off on further leh hunts over and above the present leh hunts. this is a great program that we should all get behind. it is opportunity for all....dale

pnbrock
01-07-2014, 07:46 PM
i hope we are not just saving the special groups on gas by moving them.

sarg
01-07-2014, 07:54 PM
i hope we are not just saving the special groups on gas by moving them.
I think u may have hit the nail on the head :)

rides bike to work
01-07-2014, 07:58 PM
That will be a great leh to get one day for a Rosie no god forsaken island with its god foresaken ferry

40incher
01-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Why should the GUIDES have "opportunity" over residents??? It goes to show... RESIDENTS DON'T MATTER!!!

Once again, we will see the "new" allocation policy fall on its corporate/special interest face whenever a hunt becomes legal.

The guides are last in line according to policy, but that never proves out in the kill. Especially when the guides are special interest, as in the Cariboo Region moose fiasco.

Why not just kill more elk on the Sunshine Coast? Good question Bud! Thanks Bud!

Just like moving elk from Quesnel to Williams Lake!? Instead of opening a hunt in Quesnel!?

What a farce ... TBC.

Geo.338
01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
If you simply kill more elk on the Sunshine Coast then there will be less elk on the Sunshine Coast . If we relocate elk from the Sunshine Coast then that objective is met and another area that historically had an elk population gets some elk back and a new herd is born and new opportunity for all BC hunters too.

Resident priority does come before guides quota .

The elk in Powell River came from the sunshine coast i believe . Now there is a herd approaching 200 and there is probably at least 10 Leh permits and the guide gets one . Natives get a few as well . If they just had more permits in the area with the elk we would have none and just a few lucky hunters would have a chance .

A lot of relocated elk are nuisance elk aound or on private land that landowners may or may not let you hunt on so I see this as the best way to help the most people .

Big Lew
01-09-2014, 11:10 AM
If you simply kill more elk on the Sunshine Coast then there will be less elk on the Sunshine Coast . If we relocate elk from the Sunshine Coast then that objective is met and another area that historically had an elk population gets some elk back and a new herd is born and new opportunity for all BC hunters too.

Resident priority does come before guides quota .

The elk in Powell River came from the sunshine coast i believe . Now there is a herd approaching 200 and there is probably at least 10 Leh permits and the guide gets one . Natives get a few as well . If they just had more permits in the area with the elk we would have none and just a few lucky hunters would have a chance .

A lot of relocated elk are nuisance elk aound or on private land that landowners may or may not let you hunt on so I see this as the best way to help the most people .

I most certainly agree with you in that it is fantastic to relocate elk into as many areas that we can providing they have a reasonable chance to do well and multiply...it's a win win situation for everyone. My only concern with reading the original OP's post was the exclusion of leh opportunities. It listed FNs and Guides only. I think it is an excellent opportunity for the local Native community to not only be involved with the relocation success, but also in it's guardianship.

browningboy
01-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Holy shit people, they just released some elk Jan 7th! Keep your panties on, let's see if all goes well and possibly opportunitities arise, you need 5 years or so...
do them a favour and shoot a wolf

albravo2
01-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Glad to hear they are adjusting to life on the mainland after growing up on the sunshine coast;-)

BiG Boar
01-09-2014, 11:20 PM
do them a favour and shoot a wolf

there is currently no open season on wolf in the area. So that would be called poaching.

Caribou_lou
01-09-2014, 11:45 PM
Are there deer in the area that these elk have been relocated to?? If so, I bet the deer population will go down in the area. They will take over the deers winter range. May be creating more opportunity for some game but less for others. Either way... More food for wolves and cougar.

bruin
01-10-2014, 09:23 AM

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!! Sigh. The article was written my a reporter, not a biologist, not anyone in wildlife management. If/when a season is opened there will be a percentage split (with residents getting more than outfitters) as per the provincial allocation policy, the same as all Class A species in BC.

sarg
01-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Are there deer in the area that these elk have been relocated to?? If so, I bet the deer population will go down in the area. They will take over the deers winter range. May be creating more opportunity for some game but less for others. Either way... More food for wolves and cougar.

there is deer in the area but not as many as some one would like, :???:

Caribou_lou
01-10-2014, 07:28 PM
there is deer in the area but not as many as some one would like, :???:

Please elaborate Sarg!

Caribou_lou
01-10-2014, 07:31 PM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!! Sigh. The article was written my a reporter, not a biologist, not anyone in wildlife management. If/when a season is opened there will be a percentage split (with residents getting more than outfitters) as per the provincial allocation policy, the same as all Class A species in BC.

Who said they were going to be Class A?

sarg
01-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Please elaborate Sarg!
I could be wrong but I don't think they have a good population of deer in the area. I have spent a fair amount of time in there and only seen a few does, but I have heard there is a few pocket of deer around but I've yet to find them :(

limit time
01-10-2014, 09:17 PM
I could be wrong but I don't think they have a good population of deer in the area. I have spent a fair amount of time in there and only seen a few does, but I have heard there is a few pocket of deer around but I've yet to find them :(

You must be in the wrong places? I hunt that area with my brother all the time. We have both taken three points. I have also seen a fair amount of bucks and shit loads of does.

sarg
01-10-2014, 09:27 PM
You must be in the wrong places? I hunt that area with my brother all the time. We have both taken three points. I have also seen a fair amount of bucks and shit loads of does.

some people have all the luck :) like I said haven't found the pockets yet.

browningboy
01-11-2014, 09:15 AM
there is currently no open season on wolf in the area. So that would be called poaching.

Thank you captain obvious! Lol Obviously where open... Geese do I have to be that detailed? Lol

Blainer
01-11-2014, 09:21 AM
there is deer in the area but not as many as some one would like, :???:This year in that neighbourhood

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_7657.jpg (javascript:;)

Kudu
01-11-2014, 10:22 AM

Exactly - they should make it mandatory for LEH hunters to qualify for elk tag in the area with proof of Woolf pelt taken from area first!

limit time
01-11-2014, 09:37 PM
This year in that neighbourhood

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_7657.jpg (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)
NICE! A lot of "book" bucks come from that area.

Gateholio
01-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Maybe the reporter forgot a comma.

abbyfireguy
01-12-2014, 11:25 AM
It will take a few years for the elk to take hold in the area. The Sunshine Coast is a prime example. Lots of groceries and cover with not too many predators... As long as Vancouver Island style poaching doesn't start up with large numbers poached..With the lack of protection against poaching, this excellent project could go for a dump in a heartbeat. I like the US style take no prisoners type of poaching response,but,we are Canadians and far to polite to do anything about it.. Sad really!!

BlacktailStalker
01-12-2014, 05:04 PM
That's cool. It would be rewarding to help out with that kind of stuff.

SPEYMAN
01-12-2014, 06:23 PM
There is no "Vancouver Island style of poaching". Poachers are poachers who ever and where ever they are.

mud-dog27
01-12-2014, 07:04 PM
This year i came across a heard of 15 elk[only a few bulls] about 8km down from where that deer blainer posted was taken, quite a site seeing those animals, tried getting a picture but the fog and the bitter winds were working against me.

abbyfireguy
01-13-2014, 11:07 AM
That's cool. It would be rewarding to help out with that kind of stuff.

I worded it that way to highlight the way Vancouver Island Elk are being poached in large numbers,in groups not one here and one there,that's all. It will be great if the transplant works well.. Really would enjoy showing my kids Elk outside a zoo setting. We hunt Harrison regularly but haven't seen a Elk up there yet..maybe one day soon??

TyTy
01-28-2014, 09:18 PM
I ran into this herd on thursday last week while at work. I count 13 animals atleast. Mabye 4-5 mature cows, the rest were two years old or less. atleast one yearling bull, maybe two. radio collars and all. very neat to see

TyTy
01-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Think of this, the recolated herds connectivity. West to east.

Toba inlet, height of land to elaho/squamish, to mamquam, height of land to upper pitt river, via east fork corbold height of land to stave. upper stave height of land to sloquet creek.

not saying elk cross the "height of land" but you gotta figure at some point there should be a wide spread population.
there is so much suitable habitat for them to take over.

fuzzy 63
02-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Last post makes the most sense of all

Cordillera
02-16-2014, 06:45 PM
The record of the south coast elk transplants in the past decade tells the real story. Just read the leh synopsis. There are now leh hunts in several places that never existed twenty years ago, and the populations are continuing to grow. More leh will come with time. And yes residents are getting their share. This whole program is a success story and it has to be a pretty jaundiced view of the world to find the negatives.