PDA

View Full Version : Cold in Prince George

coaster
10-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Just got back from P.G., total murphy's law, record cold for Oct -15, and 7" snow, we only got one LEH bull, ( 4 year old ), could have had a calf , but it was still with it's mom, ( don't need the meat that bad yet ) ..First time I have had the brakes on my quad freeze,made for an interesting ride down a hill and into a slough. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will do so....

3kills
10-26-2004, 04:03 AM
congrats on ur leh moose...what was the temp there???

todbartell
10-27-2004, 08:04 PM
he said -15 :neutral:

congrats on the moose, it would be great to see some pics :)

Thunderstix
10-27-2004, 09:39 PM
You could always email your pics to one of us and we would be glad to post them for you.

Marc
10-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Hey coaster if you need help with the pictures sends them to me and I'll resize them so you can upload them.

Marc.

3kills
10-28-2004, 12:53 AM
oh crap didnt even see that must have been blind for a bit...thanx for pointin it out firebird...

moosecaller
10-31-2004, 03:22 PM
Calf with it's mom???? If it is not with it's mom it is not a calf anymore it is a year old! That is what calf season is for to thin out the under 12 month old moose. P.S. congrats on the bull.

Mulie_Hunter
11-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Congrats on the bull, Its takes real good hunter with good ethics to pass up a calf congrats on that too.

moosecaller
11-01-2004, 12:35 PM
In order to maintain a healthy population of game animals it has been determined by biologists that certain seasons for culling must be allowed. It has nothing to do with being a good hunter or having good ethics not to take a calf but rather lack of education in game management. By not taking advantage of these seasons we as hunters are not doing our part in keeping a healthy balance in the animal populations, which can lead to a sick group of animals and wasteing a valuable resource. Better to harvest a healthy animal and assist the managers of our game than to work against them. Take some time to educated yourself to find out how and why seasons are setup the way they are, you may be suprised that the ministry biologists really do know what they are doing.

Bman
11-01-2004, 01:04 PM
I agree there is nothing unethical about taking a moose calf. In fact my hunting party took one this season (THE best moose meat ever, a lot better then my bull). Taking a calf will have less impact on the moose population then taking a bull or a cow anyday, since they are not part of the breeding population yet, and the calf count will be quickly replenished the next year. Not so for big bulls. It is for the same reason that we have an immature bull season, as they will also not be likely to breed with any cows. The biggest bull gets the most ladies! ;-)

Just my 2 cents...

3kills
11-01-2004, 01:55 PM
i agree with u guys...however i will have to say this...with the immature bulls its great that we are takin the young one and leaving the old ones to breed but whats going to happen when the old ones die and there isnt lil ones cuz we are shooting them..i think it the areas that have the immature season...they should run the immature season for say 5 years and the run a year or two of mature bulls only or any size bull for 2 weeks..and then go back to an immature season for 5 years and so on and so on...that sounds to me like some good game management...i could be wrong though...just my 02 cents...

moosecaller
11-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Another misconception about the immature bull designation, not all bull moose move through the antler developement the same way, it is based on genetics just as our traits are, eg: blue eyes,height,body style, etc. The spike /fork bull is a genetic trait and some bulls do not grow in this way, some will go from spike right into a 3x4 for example so shooting all the little ones is not a concern,because as previously stated not all immatures develope antlers the same way. Your idea is a good one that would benifit the hunter not the management of the game animals I think we would all like the opportunity to get any bull. These types of suggestions work to keep a heated conversation going in your local pub, but they have no place in the reality of scientifically based game management. Once again the biologists know what they are doing.