PDA

View Full Version : Geese help

kits duck
02-07-2007, 03:25 PM
can i use the same duck shot? 3 inch 1 1/8 oz 2 shot. would westham be a better spot then b-bay.Can i make some decoys,what call?. This forum helped me out so much for my duck season,how about a lesson ot two on geese. What about my choke on my 870?

NEEHAMA
02-07-2007, 04:45 PM
yes, yes and yes. but i would love to see your decoy's when your done. *any "off the shelf" goose call works fine.

go shoot some honkers!

4ptbuck
02-07-2007, 05:27 PM
I could put you on a limit of duck, or I could put you on a limit of snows. But shooting a Canada has always been a little more difficult for me.

I hunt off a boat around Westham.
I have 3 dozen Canada decoys.
Canada shooting has always been pass shooting for me.
The decoys sometimes helps them pass a little closer.

For ammo, because I am pass shooting, my load would be 3.5" of BBB.

One time, (in band camp), I did have a single decoy in. That was fun!!

Dano
02-07-2007, 06:56 PM
I use 3" BB for geese, right now I have Remington shells but I use the Winchester HV too. I've shot them with #2 steel but I think with geese you need bigger than #2 as most of the geese I have shot with #2 were dropped because of a broken wing. I've never tried BBB, I'm a little concerned with my old Browning A5 and large shot (even BB may be pushing it...).
I use a Yentzen goose call, my buddy has an old Olt that I like the sound of. I don't like the Knight and Hale calls that canadian tire sells. Faulks goose call sound ok too.
I haven't had too many geese decoy but I put out 10-15 decoys. Sometimes a small flock will give us a look and like was mentioned, the singles will come right on in on occasion! My decoys are old inflatable cheap plastic and some very old hard foam shells. Would like a noce set of floaters but they take up a lot of room in the boat...
Dan
P.S. What the heck is up with the season opening on a sunday?!

mattchu_19
02-07-2007, 07:28 PM
I use 3 1/2 2's, 1 3/8 oz on geese, found out the my gun patterns 2's better then BB's with a Kick's high flyer choke. We run 1 1/2 dozen GHG full bodies and 1 1/2 dozen FA, Flambeau shells on motion stakes. we also use FA laydown blinds. We use a goose flag too, they love it. My call of choice is my Foiles strait meat honker. We usually hunt our farm's corn fields, but this late season all the geese I have been scouting are in two fields that you cant hunt so i dont know what I' going to do. with our combination I've had geese feet down, cupped up and almost landing on us. hopefully this late season works out. Everyone good luck

Greenhead
02-07-2007, 08:06 PM
3" bb or T ($20), Xtra full choke to reach out a bit($35), Knight & hale goose call($25), and three dozen decoys($300). Opening morning laying in the pitt blind with my 7 year old........ PRICELESS!!
Good luck out there boys!
GH

zaconb
02-13-2007, 01:46 PM
What I use:
Calls: Foiles SMH, Gaston Short BBL.
Gun Xtrema 3.5 (athough the gun in the picture is a Browning 10ga Stalker)
Shells Hevishot ( Eviron-Metal) 3”1 ½ # 4, Over decoys field, 3.5” 1 ¾ “4 (pass shooting water or as third shell)
Decoys:
GHG Flocked head decoys, Hard Core decoys, and Big foot decoys.

If you want to kill geese:
Call :
RNT quack Head Goozilla (this call sounds great)
http://www.mackspw.com/item.asp?im=RNT022&d=RNT_Quackhead_Goozilla_Goose_Call

Dekes Field: Silhouette
http://www.mackspw.com/item.asp?im=LIC9063D&d=Webfoot_Real_Geese_Magnum_Lite_3D_Silhouette_Can ada_Goose_Decoys

Or similar home built work fine!

Water: Canadian Tire goose floaters, 3-7

shells: Do not go bargin basement on shells, they are big birds and you want a quick kill.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/zaconb/Goose.jpg