PDA

View Full Version : Got me a spike bull yesterday. No pics.

Thunderstix
10-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Well, at 2:30 yesterday my 3 year drought came to an end. We decided, after hunting all morning at one spot, to stop at Graceland (named so because of the monster bull we saw there last week, named "The King") which is an island on the Skeena, for a quick look around before heading back to Rupert. My buddy went one way and I went another. I was about 30 mins in when I spotted something dark in a small group of large trees in the middle of a meadow about 150 yards away. I soon realized, via binocs, that it was moose hide but I could not see its head. It soon turned and it had terribly small horns, somewhere between a spike and a paddle bull. It began to trot quite quickly broadside and was in danger of disappearing if I did not act fast. I quickly found a stump to rest on, found his ribs in my scope and let a 300 grain Nosler fly from my new .375 H&H Win Mod-70. I saw it lurch but then it ran out of sight, which was only 20 more feet. I went over but could not find it. I whistled for my buddy and he whistled back immediately as he was only 75 yards away (I knew where he was so there was no danger). He said he had been chasing a moose through the thick brush but had not actually seen it. Well, I saw it. We looked for tracks for 15 mins but could not find them. He asked me if I missed and I said I wasn't sure, although I was thinking "how could I miss a moose broadside at that distance"?....stranger things have happened. Finally I walked over a little further and there it was all piled up in a depression (he was not depressed but rather was laying in one). Both lungs and the top of his heart. He would have been legal in an immature only area. We 1/4'ed him and I packed him out with my Bull-pac. Shot at 2:30, in the Zodiak at 6:45. Lot of BS'ing mixed in during that duration.
He is going to be some gooooood eating.
PS. I ran out of film the other day and forgot to get more...doh!

tracker
10-24-2004, 08:35 AM
congradulations on the moose . At that age they are second to none for eating.

3kills
10-24-2004, 08:46 AM
way ta go stix...

Marc
10-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Congrats on the moose Mike,glad to hear you got your meat for your freezer.It's to bad you didn't have a camera with you, to me it's like my Master Card, I never leave home without it :D

I guess we'll just have to take your word on this one ;)

Foxer
10-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Finally I walked over a little further and there it was all piled up in a depression

LOL - i know what you meant, but for a second there I was gonna suggest you switch to the new Prozac partition, or possibly an accu-ziban. :)

Congrats bud - them immatures is some of the finest eating meat there is, you'll enjoy it a great deal i think.

bone-collector
10-24-2004, 11:25 AM
good show mike

Thunderstix
10-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Thank you, thank you very much.

willyqbc
10-24-2004, 02:11 PM
MMMMMM!!! YUMMY!!! Well done Stix!!

Chris

3kills
10-24-2004, 05:08 PM
well just got word that another lil two point bull moose bit the dust today...my uncle got one!!! thats 3 of my family members that have gotten one this year..just cuz i was the only one to get one last year i will be the only one to not get one this year i bet...

Amphibious
10-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Good stuff! Moose Steak, mmmmmmm.......

Kirby
10-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Good job, I tagged out on a mature today, pics, and story to follow tomorrow.

Kirby

Foxer
10-24-2004, 08:32 PM
Nice kirby - man this year's gonna go down as the great moose slaughter.

3kills
10-25-2004, 02:15 AM
congrats kirby...wasnt ur moose draw in 3-19a??? where about were u hunting???

Thunderstix
10-25-2004, 06:23 AM
Congrats! At least you guys were smart enough to have a camera.
This year is a moose and grouse slaughter. Lets hope for another mild spring to beef up the grouse for next year as well.

Nails
10-25-2004, 02:15 PM
It is good to here that you guys are getting some moose. Congradulations, Thunderstix and Kirby.
Carry a disposable camera in your pac for an emergency. They work great, get one with a flash and 12 exposure so you can take it in right away. Don't forget to buy a new one.

Salty
10-25-2004, 03:07 PM
Good work 'stix. You've got a lot of good eats there bud......