PDA

View Full Version : bcwf insurance

ASPEN
11-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Maybe someone could explain to me why no matter when in the year you become a member-the third party liability insurance for ATV's runs out dec31. (ie:-join/re-new in Sept-insurance runs out on dec 31-so no insurance coverage from Jan 1 to Sept) I know a few people who never read the policy close enough and were riding around (hunting or fishing of course) without insurance!

adriaticum
11-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Yes your club membership goes by calendar year, that's why it's best to join right away.

300H&H
11-20-2013, 06:09 PM
WHAT ?

If that is the case I will wait to renew my membership.
That just seems silly but I guess that's the way they do it.

adriaticum
11-20-2013, 06:24 PM
WHAT ?

If that is the case I will wait to renew my membership.
That just seems silly but I guess that's the way they do it.

Membership at my gun club and my bcwf membership end dec 31.
Much like my hunting license expires Apr 31 regardless of when I buy it.
And my fishing license.

shottyshooter
11-21-2013, 12:29 AM
The BCWF buys a policy for a one year period and - regardless of when you joined their policy - it will expire a year after the BCWF bought it.

my fish and game club changed (coordinated) its memberships to be in synch with the insurance that BCWF offers so that everything makes sense.

stinkyduck
11-21-2013, 05:48 PM
well now everybody will be renewing in january, thanks for the info

BCWF
11-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Hi Everybody,

Our insurance can be a little tricky, so I went straight to the source - BCWF Membership Coordinator Erin Kinloch:

"BCWF has over 109 Member Clubs, and each BCWF Member Club uses a different Membership system. Some Clubs sell Memberships that run from the date you sign up until Dec. 31st , while other Clubs sell Memberships that are good for one full year no matter when you sign up, which is similar to BCWF Direct Memberships. It is best practice to confirm the dates with the Club at the time of purchase, or to check the Card issued to you by the Member Club."

If you have any questions about BCWF / Club Memberships, you can contact Erin by phone at 604-882-9988 ext. 222 or by email at membership@bcwf.bc.ca.

Curtis Ketter
BCWF Marketing & Communications Coordinator

blacksn95
11-24-2013, 09:13 AM
So Im in the clear then.. I bought my direct membership in september.. My card also says expires sept of next year.. I guess this applies to people buying insurance from rod and gun clubs

300H&H
11-24-2013, 11:45 PM
So Im in the clear then.. I bought my direct membership in september.. My card also says expires sept of next year.. I guess this applies to people buying insurance from rod and gun clubs

If I understand correctly...your membership will expire 1 year from the date you buy it, BUT the ATV liability insurance will expire Dec 31 of this year.

Mikey Rafiki
01-31-2014, 02:35 PM
Has anyone been able to clear this up? I joined the BCWF in November so it looks like I only get 1 month of coverage. I'm wondering how many members are uninsured most of the year because they cant print off a valid certificate of insurance. The BCWF response above does not directly address this at all.

bighornbob
01-31-2014, 05:01 PM
Has anyone been able to clear this up? I joined the BCWF in November so it looks like I only get 1 month of coverage. I'm wondering how many members are uninsured most of the year because they cant print off a valid certificate of insurance. The BCWF response above does not directly address this at all.

The insurance policy runs from January 1 to Dec. 31 even though your membership was bought in the November. As long as you are a member you are covered. I bought a direct membership in October and signed up for a e-account from the website. Once you sign up you can print off the new insurance policy for this year. This post reminded me of that and I just went and printed off a new certificate for this year. That piece of paper and your membership have you covered till November.

BHB

Mikey Rafiki
01-31-2014, 06:03 PM
The insurance policy runs from January 1 to Dec. 31 even though your membership was bought in the November. As long as you are a member you are covered. I bought a direct membership in October and signed up for a e-account from the website. Once you sign up you can print off the new insurance policy for this year. This post reminded me of that and I just went and printed off a new certificate for this year. That piece of paper and your membership have you covered till November.

BHB

Perfect! Thanks for the info BHB. I will get my e account set up right away.

Mike

vikinghunter
01-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Dont forget that you also get a discount on your house insurance through the Nanaimo HUB insurance branch with your bcwf membership, I saved $200 last year.

300H&H
02-02-2014, 03:56 AM

I have sent a email off asking for clarification. I will post the reply.

Mikey Rafiki
02-03-2014, 02:16 PM
I have sent a email off asking for clarification. I will post the reply.

As bighornbob mentioned previously, you just need to sign up to the eCommunity site on BCWF.net. Then you go to Member Benefits > Insurance Coverage then click on "Certificate of Insurance" and print off the certificate for 2014.

It will take the system a couple days to link your eCommunity profile to your BCWF membership before you can access this. I signed up on Saturday and was able to print the certificate this morning.

Thanks again to bighornbob!

Mike

Xenomorph
02-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the update and the site link. I forgot to put that info my favourites.

JoeJoe
02-28-2014, 09:33 PM
No you don't only get a month's coverage.. Mikey...you are still a member in the next year and the policy is re-newed to cover the members. The liability insurance is like auto insurance ... it doesn't run out .. you just pay when its due. That isn't saying your membership has to run out and be reinstated at the same time because there is not one day when the members are not covered .. coverage is continuous no mater when it is renewed. the only way it would run out is for the federation to fail to pay for the next year. That is how I see it. I have had lots of liability insurance over the years and it all runs for a year from the time of purchase and they don't allow blank spots where there is even a day of no insurance.

bruickladdie
03-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Be careful with what you think you have for insurance. Go to their website and check it out. It only covers the member and no one else riding the machine, only covers when "hunting and fishing" IN SEASON but does cover you on a FSR. It does not cover you while just out riding for pleasure.

JoeJoe
03-18-2014, 01:21 PM
The information from BCWF says that it covers those on a forest service road or non public road while ACTIVELY hunting or fishing. So that leaves out fishing because trolling with a quad is difficult from a forest service road. So if you are on a forest service road you need to be actively hunting to be covered. Going to your hunting spot would not cut it with that wording but who knows what the actual legal jest of it would be. You may get away with saying you are going hunting or fishing as long as you didn't actually need the insurance , that is a officer of the law may let you go without a ticket but would you actually be covered if something happened? I doubt it.

TPK
03-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Oh my .. come on JoeJoe all you seem to do on these threads is miss-inform everyone about the BCWF. You are covered as long as you are engaged in a hunting or fishing activity and YES for heavens sake, that includes travel to and from your hunting/fishing spot. Now stop spreading nonsense and "interpreting" because your track record doing so sucks.

Pioneerman
03-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Oh my .. come on JoeJoe all you seem to do on these threads is miss-inform everyone about the BCWF. You are covered as long as you are engaged in a hunting or fishing activity and YES for heavens sake, that includes travel to and from your hunting/fishing spot. Now stop spreading nonsense and "interpreting" because your track record doing so sucks.

Exactly , sometimes common sense does not prevail !

TPK
03-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Any questions on BCWF provided insurance through HUBB are best directed to Joan McKay .... the BCWF Insurance Committee chair at mandjmckay@shaw.ca Get it right from the source and get the right information.

JoeJoe
03-18-2014, 05:41 PM

Really .. you have my track record and you don't like it.. I thought people were allowed to speak their minds..
A com on TPK your track record of trying to make out that people should know that what you say is gospel is very tiresome and counter productive to good debate.
Gee TPK you are soooooo much more intelligent than I am you should back off a little and give me a break.. please?

SPEYMAN
03-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Firstly,BCWF does not insure anyone.They provide a policy with your membership dues.The Company that sells that policy is Hub.The insurer is an Insurance broker.They are the ones that decide if and when you require coverage and if and when they will or will not pay.For complete answers you need to talk directly to the agency or broker to get the correct answers.

Be prepared for a legal battle if there is any question about your coverage.

JoeJoe
03-18-2014, 07:04 PM

What is the miss-information by the way? I read the line on the bottom of the Certificate of Liability Insurance that is supplied for members by Hub and it says under additional insureds..
"operation of ATV's that are not licensed by ICBC on Non-Public Roads for off road liability while Actively engaged in (I) .. which is hunting and fishing activities. Why would they put the word "actively" in there if it doesn't mean anything.. it would have been easier to omit it.
And just because you think that is miss-information how does that give you the right to miss-inform the forum about my track record by saying "all you seem to do is miss-inform everyone about the BCWF. That was only one thread out of about fifty and I was talking about the insurance - not the BCWF . I think you just spoke for the federation because you seem to portray the image that you are in the know.. and you have swampers.
I respect you to date because you have a good attitude about most things... and I like your posts in defence of public property so you are an OK guy.. but don't fu$k with my track record if you don't mind.

JoeJoe
03-19-2014, 11:21 AM
I went to the trouble of phoning Hub in Nanaimo. A lady there by the name of Marylin assured me that the word actively was placed there to emphasize that the insurance only covered people going hunting or fishing and not just joy riding. She assured me that anyone actually going hunting or fishing was covered from beginning of trip to the end even if they were looking for a place to hunt or fish as long as they were on non-public or forest service roads.
So the word "actively" is just to alert people to the fact that are not insured if they are joy riding and not hunting or fishing... So that is what it is, and she says it definitely includes any travel to or from the fishing hole or hunting area on non public roads and forest service roads. Seems Forest service roads are not public roads and they are not private roads.. they seem to be in a category of their own.
I should have asked why they don't include joy riding .. it would make life simpler for ATV ers.

TPK
03-19-2014, 11:54 AM
...I should have asked why they don't include joy riding .. it would make life simpler for ATV ers.
They "could", but the price would climb to what Capri charges. This is a nice low cost option for those that typically only use their off road vehicle for hunting and fishing anyway. This has been discussed in many threads and the common outcome is .... if you want/need full coverage for all year long playing, then pay the extra $$ and go with Capri. Many have both.

JoeJoe
03-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks
Thinking about getting a small quad for rock hunting.. but that isn't included in hunting so I'll have to go with Capri I guess if I make the plunge.

SPEYMAN
03-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Compare products and get what suits you. Capri,Hub and Oasis all offer libility coverage.Ask some questions,is the machine or the rider covered?If I let my buddy ride my machine is the insurance valid?If I have a pasenger on a one up machine is there coverage?Are there any discounts for being a member of a organization?What is the cost?Is there an aniversery date or am I covered for a year from date of purchase?Is there any discount if you have taken an ATV Safety Course?

Check out the cost of full coverage. Most are unaware that when transporting your atv on a trailer or the bed of your truck,there is no ICBC insurance on the atv if there is an accident.Your home insurance does not cover your atv if it is stolen or destroyed in a fire etc.

Your liability insurance is to protect those that you may have an accident with.That is why you should want other operators to also have liability insurance.Lets be safe out there,not sorry.

Iron Glove
03-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Compare products and get what suits you. Capri,Hub and Oasis all offer libility coverage.Ask some questions,is the machine or the rider covered?If I let my buddy ride my machine is the insurance valid?If I have a pasenger on a one up machine is there coverage?Are there any discounts for being a member of a organization?What is the cost?Is there an aniversery date or am I covered for a year from date of purchase?Is there any discount if you have taken an ATV Safety Course?

Check out the cost of full coverage. Most are unaware that when transporting your atv on a trailer or the bed of your truck,there is no ICBC insurance on the atv if there is an accident.Your home insurance does not cover your atv if it is stolen or destroyed in a fire etc.

Your liability insurance is to protect those that you may have an accident with.That is why you should want other operators to also have liability insurance.Lets be safe out there,not sorry.

Good points.
It is interesting that my Homeowner's Policy, as most all do, excludes any liability arising out of my use of my ATV's but does cover my liability arising out of the use of a non owned ATV.
Technically speaking, liability insurance does not "protect those that you may have an accident with." It protects you against legal liability to others that might arise from from your use, ownership or operation of your ATV. There is no "protection to others", you have to be found legally liable. You are the one who is "protected."

Kudu
03-20-2014, 06:28 AM
Be careful with what you think you have for insurance. Go to their website and check it out. It only covers the member and no one else riding the machine, only covers when "hunting and fishing" IN SEASON but does cover you on a FSR. It does not cover you while just out riding for pleasure.

Are you a insurance salesman by any chance?

aggiehunter
03-20-2014, 09:28 PM
I think what someone is trying to say is that if your in the middle of the desert with no lake or river in site roaring around with 10 buddies from the ATV club and you wipe one out..somebody might ask the question....if your on a poker run with your rifle but you forgot nothing was open to hunt and you smoke into Ace out with his goldpan the shit's gonna hit the fan. I consider Beacon to be the primary Insurer and the Hub BCWF policy as secondary...you can all make the decision as to what you think might work.

Iron Glove
03-20-2014, 09:39 PM
I think what someone is trying to say is that if your in the middle of the desert with no lake or river in site roaring around with 10 buddies from the ATV club and you wipe one out..somebody might ask the question....if your on a poker run with your rifle but you forgot nothing was open to hunt and you smoke into Ace out with his goldpan the shit's gonna hit the fan. I consider Beacon to be the primary Insurer and the Hub BCWF policy as secondary...you can all make the decision as to what you think might work.

Agree with the analysis re use but the primary / secondary would depend on how each policy words it's other insurance clauses. It might be that one is primary, the other excess or it might mean that both are co-insurers on a pro rata basis.