PDA

View Full Version : Bow Sling...Got One?...Use It?

Bow Walker
02-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Do you, or should you, use one?

Ask two different archers and you will get two different answers. The reality is that everyone should be using a bow sling, whether it be a thumb/finger type or the standard wrist type.

A properly installed and adjusted bow sling gives the shooter the confidence to relax the bow-hand during the shot sequence. Using a bow sling should (and will) eliminate the fear of the bow jumping right out of the hand at the shot.

The bow sling will also greatly reduce bow hand torque by allowing the shooter to totally relax the bow hand while executing the shot sequence.

I can speak from personal experience..:redface: ......my bow (at that time) had no sling on it because it had worn out and I hadn't replaced it. I didn't think I really needed one, if truth be told.

I was at the practice range one sloppy, wet December day. It had been raining for most of the week and had just tapered off that morning, so off I went to get in some fine tuning.

I was standing in about 2" of mud, water and grass - no big deal really as I had my "Wellies" on - and it wasn't too cold. Well after a half hour or so
shooting and minor adjustments I was working on my 20 yard groups when I drew back, settled in to my anchor, and was concentrating on the spot when the release did its thing - totally unexpected.:eek:

Since I shoot with a very soft grip - almost no grip at all - the release of the arrow caught me off guard and the bow jumped right out of my hand. It went about three feet forward and straight down into the muck, water, grass, dirt and crappy-poopa that I was standing in.:mad:

The sight, string, cable, cam, idler wheel, and just about r=everything else was covered on the said crappy-poopa. I did te only thing that I could think of at the time by getting my water bottle out and dousing the affected parts to try to get the majority of the mud off before it dried.

Nothing worse than having dirt granules in the grooves of the cam and idler wheel.

Anyway, the point is that had i put on another bow sling the above accident would not have taken place. At all.

I had always thought that it would never happen to me. Quite an eye opener. So.....moral of the story? Get, and use, a bow sling - it'll do nothing but good for you.

sealevel
02-02-2007, 07:19 PM
I personly would not be without a wrist strap . While hunting it would be real loose so i can get my hand in it easy.

bochunk2000
02-02-2007, 07:47 PM
I use one. I feel more comfortable with it there.
Steve.

greybark
02-02-2007, 08:24 PM
:) Hey BowWalker , agree a bow sling is a must . However very few Traditional archers use them .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

bsa30-06
02-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I got one , and i use it.It wouldn't feel right without it.

Bow Walker
02-03-2007, 09:16 AM
If anyone read my original long thread (somtimes I'm just boring) it is plain to see that I use one all the time - practice or hunting.

Yup, I've yet to see a "stick bow" shooter use one.

willyqbc
02-03-2007, 10:18 AM
I use a finger sling for all my target shooting, nothing for hunting. That being said my grip is such that the tip of my thumb and tip of my index finger lightly touch without actually "gripping" the bow so it's not going anywhere when i release....thats why I don't bother with one for hunting, one less thing to forget!!

Chris

Bow Walker
02-03-2007, 10:29 AM
I've seen some (not many) shooters who, instead of touching first finer to thumb, actually put the first finger over top and around the thumb nail thus forming a "lock" around the throat of the grip.

Personally I'm not a fan of this way of gripping the bow because there is too much chance of choking the grip and skewing the shot.

JMHO

oldtimer
02-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Would feel nekkid without mine. Mike

Bow Walker
02-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Would feel nekkid without mine. Mike
:eek: :eek: Scary thought folks!! Look away, look away!!

Jagermeister
02-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I use a wrist sling. I do not grip the bow once the string has opposing pressure during the draw stroke and have never dropped the bow even during the rare instances that the release opened unexpectedly. I vaguely remember practising to clasp the bow after the arrow was released so it's just a reflex action that I do not have to think about.

jessbennett
02-03-2007, 09:21 PM
a properly adjusted sling can actually help a person be more accurate when they shoot.with a wrist sling one does not even have to grip the handle after a shot is executed. the bow if properly balanced will just roll forward onto the sling.

nykoma
02-03-2007, 09:42 PM
wouldn't think of not using one, it has saved my bow more then once:lol:

Eagle1
02-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Used them, tried a bunch of different styles, now I never use one.Okay for some people it gives them the confidence to relax the bow hand and feel they won't drop the bow.I've never dropped a bow upon release.
Winter time, snow on the ground, winter coat, felt pak boots, insulated gloves,bow sling, going down a hill, slip and fall and start to slide down hill, try and get rid of your bow with a bow sling on and insulated gloves. I don't want to slide down a hill with my bow and broadheads in the quiver fallig out around me while I bounce down a hill, I want to get the bow away from me, preety hard to with a sling and thick gloves,even if the sling is loose.
My $ 0.05

Bow Walker
02-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Walk carefully and don't fall........:twisted:

Eagle1
02-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Walk carefully and don't fall........:twisted:

As you know, no matter how careful we are S_ _ T HAPPENS!!!
Hows the wrist doing? :evil:

Bow Walker
02-06-2007, 09:53 AM
You're right that I know "S_ _ T HAPPENS!!!"

The wrist is waiting on the ulnar nerve to regenerate itself. I was told 12 - 18 months..........

Time is draggin' I gotta tell ya!