PDA

View Full Version : Blinds on public land

Aheny
11-04-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm always surprised with some peoples sense of entitlement. I bumped into a couple of guys this weekend who were discussing their blind on Pitt Marsh, and they were of the opinion that even if they show up at noon, they can order people to leave "their" blind.

While I do agree that we should be allowed to leave stuff in the public marsh, rather than having to tear it down every time we are done with it, it doesnt somehow garner "ownership" to the spot, and if someone else beats you to it, you can speak politely to them and maybe they can choose to do you a favor by allowing you to join them, or even leaving the spot altogether, but you dont have any authority over them.

IT IS UNLAWFUL: to interfere with or obstruct a person licensed or permitted to hunt, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged.

If you have a blind set up and are worried about someone else using it, you need to physically occupy it, and get in before legal light, just like everyone else does.

longshot
11-04-2013, 06:10 PM
If go on public land, haul all my gear in well before light, and see a blind not in use.. its fair game for me to use in my opinion.. If someone wants entitlement to a blind, buy a field and build a blind there, or simply don't be lazy and wake up early!! Public land is first come first serve.

Kudu
11-04-2013, 06:14 PM
If go on public land, haul all my gear in well before light, and see a blind not in use.. its fair game for me to use in my opinion.. If someone wants entitlement to a blind, buy a field and build a blind there, or simply don't be lazy and wake up early!! Public land is first come first serve.

This is true - you build - you use it - if someone gets there earlier - tough shit, Go and build another one!

You "own" nothing! - the land belongs to everyone - if you can't live by those rules, then by all means pull down your blind and please remove it from the marsh!

blindman
11-04-2013, 06:28 PM
I agree with the previous posters. You can't stake out a claim on public land and the "Early bird gets the blind!" Have a back-up plan if you sleep in. :mrgreen:

hawk-i
11-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Same thing for people leaving treestands up on public land, thinking it will claim a hunting spot...or blocking a road way becuase they are hunting the area.

pnbrock
11-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Here we go again !!!!!!

aggiehunter
11-04-2013, 07:57 PM
...you guys must be hurtin for spots..now heres' how it works..if it's a man made built blind then help yourself if no one is in it...if the guy that built it comes along with all his stuff...you leave.

hawk-i
11-04-2013, 08:36 PM
...you guys must be hurtin for spots..now heres' how it works..if it's a man made built blind then help yourself if no one is in it...if the guy that built it comes along with all his stuff...you leave.

That may be how it works in your "little" world, but the reality of it is that the guy that built the blind on public land can damned will wait until is in NOT occupied an THEN use it!!!!

BuckNaked
11-04-2013, 08:39 PM

Anyone can say they built it, just sayin...

hawk-i
11-04-2013, 08:41 PM
If you want to have huntng rights to a specific property or a blind, you can buy land and post as many no hunting or tresspassing signs as you wish....other than that, pick a number!!!!!!

Mikey Rafiki
11-04-2013, 08:51 PM
I agree, but I would have no desire whatsoever to sit in someone else's blind. Is it that crowded over there? Why not just set up your own?

303Brit
11-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Peoples sense of entitlement has extended well beyond the marsh these days, into private fields, and everyday life. I believe it has in large part to do with people not discipling their kids anymore

lorneparker1
11-04-2013, 09:02 PM

DO you live in comox? I think I have ran into you a few times.

Aheny
11-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Aggie, you're wrong. There's no other way to say it.

Whonnock Boy
11-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Quite the scenario.... I would imagine that a lot of water fowlers have similar thoughts on what a good spot to set up a blind would be. Those that have set up blinds essentially leave their 'things' in these spots, in effect stopping others from setting up their own blind. Thinking that if you set it up, it is YOUR spot if, and when you want to use it is completely ridiculous. Remove your crap from the marsh then so you don't impede another hunter from setting up a blind, and enjoying a day out on the marsh.

139grainsofhell
11-05-2013, 01:05 AM
So if I like to hunt that part of the marsh and a guy builds a blind in there I'm no longer able to hunt that section and am supposed to leave if he shows up??
PUBLIC land if I'm there first I'm not waiting for someone to tell me if I can use the blind or not I will be using it period. If they want to join no problem meet some new hunters.

Sleep Robber
11-05-2013, 06:32 AM
There is lots of public land out there to build a blind on.....that said........I'd prefer to build my own blind and leave the one already there for the people who made it, IMO that's just common courtesy, public land or not. I myself would leave if I knew it was the certain individual{s} that built the blind, they obviously took the time to make it so be a nice guy and let them enjoy it, it doesn't take all that long to build one anyways and IMO it's all part of the process and quite a bit of fun too so.............

But,..... if someone was in the blind that "I" built when I arrived I would "not" think they "should" leave, but then again I probably would "hope" that they would, but I'm not about to stomp my feet if they didn't because the fact is, it's not my land.

Maybe, just maybe if there wasn't that many of them then maybe we could hunt together for the day and enjoy the camaraderie. That's always a good idea too, meeting new hunters.

It's not a war people, live and let live.:wink:

f350ps
11-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Here's something to ponder! I head out to marsh and find a blind set up right where I want to be, no problem, I set the decoys and put my portable blind right next to the one already there. Now you come along, the dude who built the blind, are you gonna ask me to leave? Think about it!! K

Crazy_Farmer
11-05-2013, 08:09 AM
If i find someone in one of my blinds, better be a quick runner......... Hahaha trespassers....

just search and there's a thread on this from last year a couple pages long.

Legally and morally are two different sides of the coin sometimes.

And kelly i agree. Say a lay down punt is setup where the birds wanna be and only 50 yards from a man made blind. Legally a person can hunt there, morally it's a d*ck move

Foxton Gundogs
11-05-2013, 08:13 AM
P U B L I C

public
ˈpʌblɪk/
adjective
adjective: public

of or concerning the people as a whole.

"public concern"

synonyms:
popular (https://www.google.ca/search?biw=1093&bih=498&q=define+popular&sa=X&ei=rwp5UqXUDYW5igKexoHoCQ&ved=0CC0Q_SowAA), general (https://www.google.ca/search?biw=1093&bih=498&q=define+general&sa=X&ei=rwp5UqXUDYW5igKexoHoCQ&ved=0CC4Q_SowAA), common (https://www.google.ca/search?biw=1093&bih=498&q=define+common&sa=X&ei=rwp5UqXUDYW5igKexoHoCQ&ved=0CC8Q_SowAA), communal (https://www.google.ca/search?biw=1093&bih=498&q=define+communal&sa=X&ei=rwp5UqXUDYW5igKexoHoCQ&ved=0CDAQ_SowAA), collective (https://www.google.ca/search?biw=1093&bih=498&q=define+collective&sa=X&ei=rwp5UqXUDYW5igKexoHoCQ&ved=0CDEQ_SowAA), shared, joint (https://www.google.ca/search?biw=1093&bih=498&q=define+joint&sa=X&ei=rwp5UqXUDYW5igKexoHoCQ&ved=0CDIQ_SowAA), universal (https://www.google.ca/search?biw=1093&bih=498&q=define+universal&sa=X&ei=rwp5UqXUDYW5igKexoHoCQ&ved=0CDMQ_SowAA), widespread (https://www.google.ca/search?biw=1093&bih=498&q=define+widespread&sa=X&ei=rwp5UqXUDYW5igKexoHoCQ&ved=0CDQQ_SowAA)

white moose
11-05-2013, 08:20 AM
A little different, but this is along the same lines. On the muskwa we made camp at a site that looked like it was used before. These guys came up and tried pressuring us to leave. We stuck to our rights and informed them it was public land and is first come, first serve. It got a little tense for a while. Anybody have this happen to them before? Can't believe some people think they own the river.

r106
11-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Public land is just that, public. A duck blind is not like a foreign embassy it does not become your soil. So if you decide to build a blind or anything else on public land you should be prepared to share with the public.

white moose
11-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Public land is just that, public. A duck blind is not like a foreign embassy it does not become your soil. So if you decide to build a blind or anything else on public land you should be prepared to share with the public.

Well said.

139grainsofhell
11-05-2013, 09:17 AM
There is a lot of room on Pitt marsh the problem is you can see all the blinds from the road as well as the dyke, there has allready been complaints from tree huggers that we are even allowed to hunt here , so if every marsh hunter built a permanent blind out there what would happen then?? All those foreign obsticals in a wildlife management area.It's public use the blind if your there first. And as far as the builders running you off public land... That's funny hope they have duck blind insurance!!! Cause if they want to be a douche about it I'm sure some guys will be a douche right back.

f350ps
11-05-2013, 09:23 AM
If i find someone in one of my blinds, better be a quick runner......... Hahaha trespassers....

just search and there's a thread on this from last year a couple pages long.

Legally and morally are two different sides of the coin sometimes.

And kelly i agree. Say a lay down punt is setup where the birds wanna be and only 50 yards from a man made blind. Legally a person can hunt there, morally it's a d*ck move
Okay, try this one on for size! Using your scenario with the punt, I get out there predawn (like that would ever happen,ha) and set up not knowing that there was a blind 40 yds away. An hour later blind builder shows up, are you saying morally I should move on? K

Papa Sasquatch
11-05-2013, 09:29 AM
To build a blind and expect some type of entitlement is impeding on other people hunting privilege. period. Its crown land your land is my land!
When you leave take your blind with you, problem solve.

J_T
11-05-2013, 09:31 AM
To the reference about treestands. The scenario predominantly being discussed here is different as it pertains to bird hunting and brings with it, a unique set of considerations.

With respect to store bought treestands, another hunter is free to hunt the area, just don't sit in another guys stand. Sit below it, or above, or on the ground. But not in it. Hunt the same ground. It isn't a rule, or a law. It's respect. If the guy who put the treestand in shows up he can choose to go somewhere else.

Kudu
11-05-2013, 10:00 AM
To the reference about treestands. The scenario predominantly being discussed here is different as it pertains to bird hunting and brings with it, a unique set of considerations.

With respect to store bought treestands, another hunter is free to hunt the area, just don't sit in another guys stand. Sit below it, or above, or on the ground. But not in it. Hunt the same ground. It isn't a rule, or a law. It's respect. If the guy who put the treestand in shows up he can choose to go somewhere else.

What's the difference between a tree stand and a duck blind?

They both occupy space on crown land, they both afford the hunter an opportunity to shoot game - they both should be removed if the builder / owner doesn't want to share with others........

Sorry JT - I really can't see one being any different to the other.

hawk-i
11-05-2013, 10:09 AM

Respect is, removing your stand or blind from public land when you leave.....otherwise with confrontation, you are interferring with some elses legal hunt. Pack it in, pack it out, and there is NO problem to resolve!! Why is that so hard for some people to understand? Privately owned land is totally different.

pnbrock
11-05-2013, 10:24 AM
I agree with last statement pack in you pack out problem solved. What if squatters built shacks would that be acceptable ? I think not same deal.

Foxton Gundogs
11-05-2013, 10:49 AM
I agree with last statement pack in you pack out problem solved. What if squatters built shacks would that be acceptable ? I think not same deal.

Store bought ground blind or tree stand in the deer woods is an entirely different matter. You may want to go into a hot spot set up and give it a few days to settle down then return. Its not a perminant structure like a shack deffinately not the same deal at all. Pack it in and pack it out when you are finished with it. If you cant leave a tree stand for a few days why should you be able to leave a trail cam for a few weeks? And should anyone be able to come and view the card from your trail cam any time they so choose. Much different than a duck blind of branches and reeds that may or may not be uses regularly.

Crazy_Farmer
11-05-2013, 10:52 AM
No Kelly morally you were there first. Blind builder should of gotten there first if he wanted his spot. But then the blind guy won't be setup to hunt elsewhere if he doesn't have a boat blind so it's shitty but if you were in a punt already setup and waiting I'd be giving you the right of way to hunt there. Or depending on wind only shoot birds you let pass and come into me.

Thats why theres so many races in the states refuges to get to a spot first or draw a good blind. Guys camp overnight.

hawk-i
11-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Store bought ground blind or tree stand in the deer woods is an entirely different matter. You may want to go into a hot spot set up and give it a few days to settle down then return. Its not a perminant structure like a shack deffinately not the same deal at all. Pack it in and pack it out when you are finished with it. If you cant leave a tree stand for a few days why should you be able to leave a trail cam for a few weeks? And should anyone be able to come and view the card from your trail cam any time they so choose. Much different than a duck blind of branches and reeds that may or may not be uses regularly.

Actually, there is no difference at all between treestands or duck blinds when it comes to public land....if you want to claim a spot by leaving your stand up....do it on privately owned land where you have control over who can and cant access the area. Where does this idea come from that I can claim a spot by leaving a "store bought" stand or blind on public land? If you are to lazy to pack it out when you're done for the day, that's not the other hunters problem! Setting it up and leaving it there for days or weeks to let the area get use to it (cool down)is a good idea. However, that privilege is best exercised on controlled access land.
Why would you care if someone viewed what was on your trail cam as long as it was left unharmed and in place? Also for the record, I would not leave a trail cam on public land for an extended period of time and be naive enough to believe no one would touch it.

J_T
11-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Well gentlemen. It sounds like we're fighting for space along the Vedder. Love that shoulder to shoulder fishing. No thanks. That's why I moved from the LML and love the vastness of Crown Land in the Kootenays.

To be specific, I'm not really worried about what you think is right or wrong. But where we hunt, if a guy puts up a stand, we respect it. If someone wants to hunt that location and the guy who put the stand up is not there, go right ahead. Just don't use his stand. If you're in the area and the guy who puts the stand up shows up, to bad. (there is no 'saving' a spot because you have a stand up) You are not obligated to leave. But we don't take our stands down every night. Now that would be funny. But we do leave other guys property alone.

hawk-i
11-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Well, the jest of this thread was about people believing they can claim a spot on public land and demand you leave when they show up....not about what some people do in the Kootenays.

J_T
11-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Well, the jest of this thread was about people believing they can claim a spot on public land and demand you leave when they show up....not about what some people do in the Kootenays.
Thanks for recognizing that, I was trying to concur with you. You can't save a spot by having something in place. You certainly can't demand they leave when you show up. My specific point was, if it is something of value, like a treestand (not a hole in the ground with some dirt and brush piled on. Another user, should leave it alone.

Kudu
11-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks for recognizing that, I was trying to concur with you. You can't save a spot by having something in place. You certainly can't demand they leave when you show up. My specific point was, if it is something of value, like a treestand (not a hole in the ground with some dirt and brush piled on. Another user, should leave it alone.

Do try and keep up JT - the duck blinds in the pit marsh are properly constructed structures, wooden floors raised above the waterline etc. etc - money invested in wood to the tune of, if not more - that your tree stand! Not quite the holes in the ground with some dirt or bush piled on that you trying to paint! People have invested a load of time - effort and money to build and maintain these things.

However, Crown land will always be public land - anything you choose to leave behind including garbage becomes public property - that means the marsh, mountains in the kootneys - it really doesn't matter!! Anyone stumbling upon it has as much right to use it as you or anyone else.

J_T
11-05-2013, 03:54 PM
You guys make it so hard for a guy to keep up. But I will try.

For me. And I'm only saying for me.... If I wanted to enjoy a siesta or hunt, on/in or near a nice concealed, constructed, raised wood floor structure (blind) on crown land, if I didn't financially support it or build it, if it wasn't occupied upon my arrival, I'd lay/hunt, beside it. This is pretty much the accepted practice I've experienced from Region 8 through to the east side of region 4. It isn't that I can't hunt there.

hawk-i
11-05-2013, 05:37 PM

Sorry about that ....guess I wasn't reading it properly. I don't hunt in populated areas so it really isn't a problem I've experienced much while hunting. But it has and does happen. Personally I could care less if someone wants to leave a couple hundred dollar stand in the bush and trust that it will be there for them when they return. Same goes with game cams. However I would have a big problem with someone telling me its their spot because they had a stand or blind set up. Fishing on the Skeena during the chinook run can be an exercise in frustration with people claiming spots for the duration of the summer by leaving a tent up or rod holders at the waters edge. I try to avoid these areas as well ....when I'm out hunting or fishing I'm out to enjoy the activity and not go face to face with some a-hole.
I'd also add that out of respect for the enjoyment of other, I remove my stands when I'm done at the end of day. This way I'm not encroaching on their right to fully use an area that I'm not physically occupying. So while you where concurring with my statements, you were doing so with a caveat.

300H&H
11-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Anyone can say they built it, just sayin...

This very thing happened to me years ago.
I built a blind 100 yards from a very well used deer trail and right beside the road.
I had been hunting this area for years so I knew it well.
I was in 30mins BEFORE legal shooting light.
I see the head lights of a truck coming up the road and stop right in front of "my" ground blind.
The door opens and a young guy gets out, so I turn on my flash light so they could see I was in there.
The guy said "someones in the blind dad".
The dad gets out and in a loud voice tells me to get out that it is their blind.
In a louder voice I said that I built it.
He was not happy I called him on his BS and drove up the road to where my dad was in another blind, and sat in the open 10 feet above him.
Dad said "what are you doing" ?
The reply was this is my spot and I'm hunting here.
Dad stayed until I came to get him a few hours later.
When I found out I went and had some words with the guy, mine were not so pleasant.
I never did see them in the area again.

Just my experience & 2cents.

If they were in "my" blind before me...no big deal...I will find another place to hunt and may do even better.

Gateholio
11-05-2013, 06:03 PM
However, Crown land will always be public land - anything you choose to leave behind including garbage becomes public property - that means the marsh, mountains in the kootneys - it really doesn't matter!! Anyone stumbling upon it has as much right to use it as you or anyone else.

Incorrect. If you leave your property on crown land it does not become public property. You still own it. You don't own the ground or tree it's on, however.

So if someone is in your property, you may remove your property, but you can't tell them not to occupy the ground/tree it is in.

Foxton Gundogs
11-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Actually, there is no difference at all between treestands or duck blinds when it comes to public land....if you want to claim a spot by leaving your stand up....do it on privately owned land where you have control over who can and cant access the area. Where does this idea come from that I can claim a spot by leaving a "store bought" stand or blind on public land? If you are to lazy to pack it out when you're done for the day, that's not the other hunters problem! Setting it up and leaving it there for days or weeks to let the area get use to it (cool down)is a good idea. However, that privilege is best exercised on controlled access land.
Why would you care if someone viewed what was on your trail cam as long as it was left unharmed and in place? Also for the record, I would not leave a trail cam on public land for an extended period of time and be naive enough to believe no one would touch it.

What ever.

hawk-i
11-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Incorrect. If you leave your property on crown land it does not become public property. You still own it. You don't own the ground or tree it's on, however.

So if someone is in your property, you may remove your property, but you can't tell them not to occupy the ground/tree it is in.

True, however, after a certain length of time, salvage rights may be applied for. You can't leave something for an indefinate amount of time on crown land and still claim ownership....that's my understanding, could be wrong though!

Gateholio
11-05-2013, 07:07 PM
True, however, after a certain length of time, salvage rights may be applied for. You can't leave something for an indefinate amount of time on crown land and still claim ownership....that's my understanding, could be wrong though!

I agree, after a certain point it would be deemed abandoned. How long it would take probably depends on the item and what would be a reasonable amount of time. Maybe there are prescribed time periods for things like vehicles, but I don't know.

Portable tree stands left in a tree for a few days or weeks probably wouldn't qualify as abandoned, nor do they become "public property" though. :)

Aheny
11-05-2013, 07:20 PM
I think most of us understand that it's more "the blind" then "my blind". I would feel perfectly reasonable talking to someone in a blind I built and letting them know I would appreciate help in maintaining it. Quickly let them know and get out of their way so I'm not impeding on their hunt, but common courtesy would probably lead most people to helping in maintenance or construction.

TheProvider
11-05-2013, 07:22 PM
If I was to leave a treestand or ground blind on public land and showed up and someone was in it. I would ask them not to use my equipment. I would be fine with letting them hunt there I would go elsewhere. If they didn't want to get out of my treestand I could simply climb up their with them and remove my screw in or strap on steps on my way down. They can then stay in my stand as long as they like.

As for people messing around with my trail cameras I wouldn't be very happy about. Yes I would be fine if a hunter went and looked at it and left it alone. But say that hunter hunts close by every weekend, I would not like him looking at it everytime.

Its called respect.

Aheny
11-05-2013, 07:41 PM
I personally wouldn't use another person's tree stand, I don't see their presence as limiting my options in the same way that a duck blind does. You can literally put your stand in an adjacent tree if you like the spot, the fact that the other guys empty stand is right beside you isn't going to mess with you at all.

Now in a Marsh of limited size where the reeds are fragile and there are definitely "best" spots, I'm not going to go to an inferior location when a perfectly usable empty blind is there in my preferred location

TheProvider
11-05-2013, 07:44 PM
In a Marsh for me its first one there. I wouldn't be building a very elaborate blind on public land in a marsh. Even on private land I have spent the night in a field so I was the first one there in the morning (2 different waterfawl groups had permission to hunt the particular field.)

aggiehunter
11-05-2013, 10:12 PM
like I said you guys must be hurtin for spots or livin in a different world..I'll take a man's word and walk if it's the stand he built and he's worked his ass off..if I'm just visiting for the day it's his...period.

bridger
11-05-2013, 10:26 PM
A little different, but this is along the same lines. On the muskwa we made camp at a site that looked like it was used before. These guys came up and tried pressuring us to leave. We stuck to our rights and informed them it was public land and is first come, first serve. It got a little tense for a while. Anybody have this happen to them before? Can't believe some people think they own the river.

Hapens quite often on the river. Good for you sticking to your guns

Papa Sasquatch
11-05-2013, 10:27 PM
If the man/woman has built it on CROWN LAND he or she has to know that there are no territorial claims! Why is this so complicated? If that person is more deserving then the next one he/she must be thinking very low of fellow Canadians whom understand the difference between Private land and Crown land.! Gee Really?
If it is abandoned it is mine to use for as long as I wish without interference to my hunt.

Ambush
11-05-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm camped at one end of the road, you're camped at the other end.

I set up my tree stand [my personal property] the night before the opener somewhere in the bush.

I come early the next morning to find you already sitting in my stand.

I say "AH-HEM". You say " buzz of bud, public land and I'm here first".

You come back to your tent, later, and I'm sitting, in your tent, in your chair, with my stinky feet on your table. You say "WTF" and I say "public land bud".

You'd just get me a beer????

TheProvider
11-05-2013, 11:02 PM

I set up my tree stand [my personal property] the night before the opener somewhere in the bush.

You come back to your tent, later, and I'm sitting, in your tent, in your chair, with my stinky feet on your table. You say "WTF" and I say "public land bud".

Exactly. Maybe take his quad for a spin too.

A few years ago went camping at a small lake. Woke up at 5am to the sound of two people walking through our campsite. I figure thats fine they are just going to check out the water. Then I hear the canoe and paddles being bumped. So I get up and get dressed. Walk down to the lake and theres the two guys out in my canoe fishing with my gear. 5am I am not about to yell out to them and wake up other campers. Went and made myself a coffee then came back to the waters edge and enjoyed my coffee. Took about 10mins for them to notice me and paddle in. They said sorry as soon as they got in. I sternly educated them that they should ask before hand. I would have no issue letting them borrow it if they had waited till we were up and asked permission.

GotaGun
11-05-2013, 11:16 PM
If was a store bought tree stand etc. I don't touch it.
But a tree stand built out of 2x4 left up all season on public land yes I would.

Same as a game camera = a no no to touch if not yours...

Aheny
11-05-2013, 11:40 PM

I assume you are just being facetious, you can't possibly think that a blind has anything in common with a tent, which is considered a residence under the criminal code.

If you do actually think this I suggest you contact the rcmp and get your facts straight

Papa Sasquatch
11-06-2013, 06:46 AM
Building such a structure requires building permits and be satisfactory to codes of building for CROWN LAND construction.
"AH_HEM, Good luck with that! If you get it her legally I will buy you that beer. Meanwhile respect the rights of everyone else. You snooze you lose!

Ambush
11-06-2013, 07:36 AM
I assume you are just being facetious, you can't possibly think that a blind has anything in common with a tent, which is considered a residence under the criminal code.

If you do actually think this I suggest you contact the rcmp and get your facts straight

First off, I said tree stand as in I go buy a tree stand [now my property] and legally place it in a tree on crown land. So, legally, how far around your tent do you control as your "residence"? Can I sit in your lawn chair if it is 100 meters from your tent? 50 meters? 2? Save me the time and tell me the law.

Building such a structure requires building permits and be satisfactory to codes of building for CROWN LAND construction.
"AH_HEM, Good luck with that! If you get it her legally I will buy you that beer. Meanwhile respect the rights of everyone else. You snooze you lose!

I'm talking about a commercially manufactured tree stand that a person buys at a store and then legally places on tree on public land. Why would my tree stand be any different then the bicycle that I find leaning against a tree on public land. If I find it before the owner comes back, I can just use it?

I'm not saying you can save the spot [you can't] but you certainly can claim your property. He can have the tree, but not my tree stand.

J_T
11-06-2013, 08:22 AM
........I'm talking about a commercially manufactured tree stand that a person buys at a store and then legally places on tree on public land. Why would my tree stand be any different then the bicycle that I find leaning against a tree on public land. If I find it before the owner comes back, I can just use it?

I'm not saying you can save the spot [you can't] but you certainly can claim your property. He can have the tree, but not my tree stand. Agree. Many years ago, I was hunting a new area, found myself a great little spot and decided to just ground blind it. At the time I wasn't really much in to treestands. I'm sitting there and I spot this tree stand (a store bought stand). My curiosity gets the best of me and I figure I've gotta check this out. I left my bow on the ground and climbed up for a look see. While I'm up there, the guy who put the stand up comes by. I scurry down out of his stand and we talk about it. I explained I was just checking it out. I picked up my bow and moved 10 yards away and sat back in my quick blind. He looked at me and wondered what I was doing. He realized I wasn't leaving. So he moved on. He and I talked about 6 months later at a 3D shoot. It was all good.

The Hermit
12-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah I think if someone was in my treestand I'd ask him/her to get out of it and say that he/she is welcome to hunt anywhere they like but not using my personal equipment. If they refused will either taking my steps out or cutting the tree down might be an option! LOL

Kevin So
12-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Just a related note. If you use someone's blind. Please just clean up all your shells and garbage. My hunting partner and I arrived at the blind in pit marsh only to find empty shells, chips and snack wrapper all over the place.

No problem using our blind, but please pick up after yourself. My hunting partner also left some old decoys behind the blind once and the next time out they were stolen. Not cool. Use it,don't abuse it. Peace.

kyleklassen
12-30-2013, 09:24 PM
But a tree stand built out of 2x4 left up all season on public land yes I would.

a game camera left out all season?

Kudu
12-30-2013, 09:54 PM
If you find another's litter (blinds) on crown land - tear them down and burn them!!!!

Period!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

303Brit
12-30-2013, 10:15 PM

So a commercially procured prefabbed treestand has to be left alone but a fabricated onsite with commercially procured lumber is fair game?????

Interesting

john.b
12-30-2013, 11:04 PM
okay as a total new comer, here are my 0.02.
Lets say I come across a blind and nobody is around. I dont know if they use it once a month once a week or not anymore. If it was a prime spot I would use it. If the guy who built it or claims to have done so anyways shows up I would invite him to join in with me but would not offer to leave. If the guy was a dick i would just tell him the offer still stands to join me and if not he can go away. As for a tree stand... I personally feel it is different.