PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a gun

garsher
01-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Hey guys,

im new to hunting and shooting. I went out hunting in princeton last year and ever since, im hooked lol.

Im looking to buy my first gun when my pal gets here.

Anyone wanna recommend a good calibre for a all around good gun?

I was looking at the .30-06, you can find ammo just about anywhere so. ya

Poguebilt
01-30-2007, 12:14 PM
My first rifle was a 30.06 and im super happy with my choice.

I am in the market for a new rifle and its going to a 30.06 and most likely a Thomson Center Prohunter.

The best is to try and shoot or look at as many rifles as you can before desiding.

30-06
01-30-2007, 12:23 PM
i would get a 308.win or the 30-06 spfl..iv shot both many many times...both have lots of power for every big game animal in B.C.. and lots of ammo avalible.low kick.light guns. but what ever you feel comfortable shooting

01-30-2007, 12:34 PM
WELCOME!! to our humble site :)
I'm sure you will get lots of response to your question. Personally l don't like the 30-06 for no better reason that its toooo mainstream for my liking and there are so many other choices. While its most certainly a good choice for all round hunting in BC, especially if your only planning on one gun to do it all, so is the .270, .308, 7x57 etc......half the fun is deciding!! Join your local gun club and show up at the range with an open mind and ask other shooters what they think.......l can't count how many different toys belonging to other fellows l have shot because of a conversation that started by asking how they liked their rifles/pistols.

Ferenc
01-30-2007, 12:36 PM
There will be a good gun show in kamloops in april,lots of guns.

Mr. Dean
01-30-2007, 01:10 PM
The ol'e o6 is tried and proven. I agree. Get to a range and start talking to people.

Where are you from?
I'm due for a range session...

Browningmirage
01-30-2007, 01:12 PM
.308, or 3006. Ammunition can be found everywhere, and if you ever want to handload, they are some of the most versatile calibers out there. You can handload a 110 grain (ive heard rumors about 90 grain .30 cal, never seen any tho) in the 06, or you can load a 200 in an 06, and still have good balistics. My opinion, go with .308 or 3006, and practice, with one of these guns, and good aim, nothing is out of reach

garsher
01-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Where are you from?
I'm due for a range session...

Im in the Vancouver area

Mr. Dean
01-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Im in the Vancouver area
Well then!.
Let me please cordially invite you up to the shoot'n range. I have a 300 WM that needs to be dialed in with a new scope that I just mounted.

If you're interested, PM me some details as to what days you could be available and I'll see what I can do.

You got transportation?

***EDIT***
I trust that you are of age and that I don't need Daddy's/School Teacher/Principal/spouse's permission. :|
If you answer yes to any of the above, then I'll need to talk with him or her! :lol: 8):lol:

Mattimoose
01-30-2007, 01:59 PM
.30-06 is an excellent choice. I personally shoot 7.62x54R which is similarily versatile, but not as a vailable. I have cultural reasonings behind that as I collect Finnish Militaria. Can't go wrong with the 06.

BearSniper
01-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Hi there

Mines a Remington Model 700 BDL 30-06 with a 3x9 40mm Leupold scope.

I've taken lots of game with it and I beleive it's a rifle, that if taken care of, can be passed onto your grandchildren.

Resonable cost and lots of ammo available.

Good luck and happy hunting:)

Phil
01-30-2007, 03:32 PM
I agree with many of the choices listed, however, if you want something with serious nock down power without too much recoil and a little on the different side try a 325 short magnum. I have a Browning lever action and it is great.

todbartell
01-30-2007, 03:57 PM
bolt action 30-06 or 308 in any rifle make you like

01-30-2007, 04:08 PM
I agree with many of the choices listed, however, if you want something with serious nock down power without too much recoil and a little on the different side try a 325 short magnum. I have a Browning lever action and it is great.

That's very true........stepping up to the plate first time leaves it wide open. There are some interesting calibers that have come out in the last ten years but personally, l won't spend the money for something close to what l already have. l reload so have never considered the availability of ammo an issue and even if l didn't roll my own, with a little looking around (gun club etc.) there are enough trust worthy reloaders around, getting a good supply of ammo shouldn't be a problem. Have a good look before you buy..... and as someone already mentioned, the gun shows are just around the corner and there is always lots to look at there.

Steeleco
01-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Your new so take your time, shoot anything anyone will let you try!! Then go to places like Reliable and Italian and see what guns fit and what calibre they are in. It's good to be mindful of what you can buy for bullets and where you can buy them!!! I'd like a 325 but only because I reload. .06 .308 .270 etc are all available just about everywhere.

Welcome and enjoy, it's all fun from here on in!!

The Hermit
01-30-2007, 04:31 PM
If you are a one gun fella then the 30.06 is a great all round caliber for BC... nothing you can't kill and it isn't too over the top even for blacktail deer. same goes for the venerable .308 but the added uhmph of the .06 on moose, elk and bear is desireable at distances over 100 yards... imho

270WIN
01-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Hey guys,

im new to hunting and shooting. I went out hunting in princeton last year and ever since, im hooked lol.

Im looking to buy my first gun when my pal gets here.

Anyone wanna recommend a good calibre for a all around good gun?

I was looking at the .30-06, you can find ammo just about anywhere so. ya

gasher you say your new to hunting so my question is have you ever sqeezed the triger on big game such as deer or moose it a little diffrent seeing the animal shot and you doing the shooting so my 2 cent would be look for somthing used in 30-06 or well my buddie has an old 303 britich he is thinking of parting with i seen that riffle shoot 1/2 group at 100 yrds all day long more then enough gun for deer and bear or even moose if under the right range and well if you find you like it after you shot somthing look for something newer or more you type of riffle like i said just my 2cents

HighCountry
01-30-2007, 08:49 PM
30-06 is an good choice, for long range shooting 7mm wsm not bad.

BCLongshot
01-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Depends how much you want to spend but .308 or 30-06 are popular so you won't be denied when you do see a gun you like and lots of used 1's around.

SAVAGE300
01-30-2007, 10:01 PM
try the mossberg 100 ATR it comes in 270 or 30-06 with weaver bases and the price starts at 329 to 429, depends on what configeration you like. wholesale sports, have a boo.cant beat that for nib rifle. just my 2 $$$$

Mattimoose
01-31-2007, 06:19 AM
Actually, we should be asking this guy how tall and heavy he is. At 6'1", 255lbs., I am a pretty stable gun platform, and have sat-down with a .458 with 350 grain bullets without incidence. Some people of slighter build may be better suited to a .270 or see '06 as a maximum. This guy could develop a permanent flinch with an '06 and start wounding animals. Since he's a newbie, maybe it might be better to start him-off with something that won't hammer the shit-out of him.

mapguy
01-31-2007, 10:12 AM
30-06 perhaps one of the best rifles for general hunting we're not out for elephants are we . Mind you have to look at what in the area your going to be hunting .If there's lots of grizz then a mag could come in handy .

Mr. Dean
01-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Well then!.
Let me please cordially invite you up to the shoot'n range. I have a 300 WM that needs to be dialed in with a new scope that I just mounted.

If you're interested, PM me some details as to what days you could be available and I'll see what I can do.

You got transportation?

***EDIT***
I trust that you are of age and that I don't need Daddy's/School Teacher/Principal/spouse's permission.
If you answer yes to any of the above, then I'll need to talk with him or her!

Gasher;
I'm thinking of goin up to the Poco club tomorrow. The offer still stands, if your interested.
I could meet you there, or somewhere inbetween...

The only big game rifles I currantly own are the 300 WM (in two versions) and a 45-70. But it's likely that we'd meet others there...

Again, if this isn't conveinent, PM me (or post here) some other times that could be. My 'flexability' is fairly flexable for the next couple of weeks. Its just hard NOT to take advantage of the weather we have now. :smile:

garsher
01-31-2007, 12:02 PM
K guys thanks for the help,

I think im gonna go with the .30-06, i shot my uncles and I like the feel of it.

I just have one more question. What type of scope would I want for like 100-500 yards?

I was looking at this in x40mm

http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlinestore/control/category/~category_id=10400028010613/~pcategory=10142

garsher
01-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Actually, we should be asking this guy how tall and heavy he is. At 6'1", 255lbs., I am a pretty stable gun platform, and have sat-down with a .458 with 350 grain bullets without incidence. Some people of slighter build may be better suited to a .270 or see '06 as a maximum. This guy could develop a permanent flinch with an '06 and start wounding animals. Since he's a newbie, maybe it might be better to start him-off with something that won't hammer the shit-out of him.

Im 5'5 and weigh about 150lbs

Keep in mind I'm only 15, but turning 16 soon.

Mr. Dean
01-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Keep in mind I'm only 15, but turning 16 soon.
Offer rescinded... Sorry.

im new to hunting and shooting. I went out hunting in princeton last year and ever since, im hooked

What do the people that you went hunting with think about your choice of caliber?

Mr. Dean
01-31-2007, 12:43 PM

Pricey....But it will do the job, without a doubt

dawn2dusk
01-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Only one gun :razz: my huntin rifle is a 308 but i would like to own and try em' all eventually.

308 or 30-06 good multi purpose gun

Mr. Dean
01-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey, I dont really feel like going with someone I dont know. Sorry. No need to feel sorry garsher. I understand very well.
Good luck in finding that new gun of yours!

And please, keep asking the questions.
There is no such thing as a stupid one. :wink:

SAVAGE300
01-31-2007, 09:12 PM
The only stupid question asked is the the one that wasent

Mattimoose
02-01-2007, 05:43 AM
Yes, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.If you're that size at 15, get a .30-06 and don't look back. Get on the internet and look-up "Alex" Auxillary Cartridges. Get yourself one in .30-06 to shoot .32 ACP pistol ammo, and this will help you hone your trigger pull and breathing without pounding the crap outta you and your pocket book. The only way to become a good shooter is to shoot. Luckily, my father is a gunsmith and I shot all manner of, and loaded for, all the good stuff from the age of about 11. The auxillary cartridge though ; also makes good sense as survival gear and is less cumbersome than bringing a pellet-pistol for the omnipresent grouse that are most plentiful when the large game seasons are open.

If you feel you do eventually want to reload, get your feet wet by starting with a Lee Hand Set for the .32ACP, to practice and partridge even cheaper. The rifle will become an extension of your index finger, and if you have a little property, you may not even have to go to a range. If your on a farm, the auxillary cartridge becomes an excellent tool fo nuisance animals and even culling cattle. Lee Hand sets are like 30.00 and a 35.00, 1lb.can of pistol powder should last you about 2000 rounds! Primers are like 3.00/100. A Lee bullet mold is about 35.00 with handles and some wheelweights make it really affordable. Of course you can melt some lube into a cookie sheet and cut them-out with a fired case with a push-rod and a window ground in the side, but if you got a paper route, you can just buy jacketed or pre-cast bullets in bulk. Projectiles can be had for about 7-15 cents a piece, so figure that into any proposal to your parents by next Christmas.

The .30-06 is the most versatile round on the planet and, in a pinch, will shoot everything from 55-grain, Remington Accelerators, to 125 grain Remington Reduced recoil rounds to 250 grain Barnes bullets. If you were balls-to-the wall isolated in Uktukmaluktuk, in a pinch you could kill Ptarmigan with an auxillary or with squib-loaded 100-grain plinkers, and even shoot your buddies .308 ammo allowing for a little lower point of impact.

The U.S. Army designed the .30-06's replacement in this manner, so they would not get caught between wars with their pants down. The shoulder of the .308 just a little larger than the corresponding point on the 06' chamber, so that when a round is chambered, there is a resultant crush against the bolt face facilitating headspacing. Headspace, the distance between the bolt face- and the head of the cartridge case upon firing, is usually set-up by the shoulder in rimless cases and generally is acceptable up to about .010"-Ten-thousandths of an inch or .26mm-if your a metric baby. The crush headspacing method, if the.308 is in the 06', is "0" on firing as closing is noticeably forceful, but acceptably do-able due to the camming action of most bolt and other guns; which is there to facilitate primary extraction.
Like the disclaimer on the "Jackass" movies, "Don't try this at home"; just stick this in the back of your mind so that one day, you may save your hunting trip or your life at the cost of a little soot in your chamber. A lot of guys on here may be horrified at this tidbit of info, but if the brass and the chamber are clean, this will only cause less pressure than the original round and will seal gas effectively as the case-neck may crack as it is blown straight.
That said, you are young and will hopefully never have to do that. And as the ammunition packaging says, "Only use in well-maintained firearms properly marked for the appropriate ammunition". I have done-it myself, though,in my youthful exuberance, but I was not stupid about-it. The gun and ammo were clean, and I placed the rifle in a rimless tire, at the gravel pit and pulled the trigger with a 20-foot rope/lanyard. The rifle was a P-17 and the ammo was Canadian mil spec. ammo(IVI 65) After 3 tries, I was ready to fire-it from the shoulder. Chamber cleaning was easily accomplished with my .458 brush so I'm not talking out my ass. Point-of-impact was not as low as the article in the National Rifleman had stated but It was neither the Identical rifle or ammo, just a close proximation.

Incidentally, a kit has always been available from Rock-Island arsenal to convert the .30-06 M1 Garand rifle to a 7.62 Nato(.308) rifle which includes nothing more than a bushing that fits over the neck of the .308 cartridge and a magazine block. All you have to do is clean and de-grease the chamber and apply a little Loc-tite, sparingly, to the bushing,lock, load and fire. If the bushing doesn't take the first time, find the empty cartridge with the bushing on it- as it won't fly far, and repeat.

In a nutshell, no matter what anyone says about there .308, buying one is pointless if you can get a .30-06. The only reason it was created was because it does what the original U.S military loading did with a 150-grain bullet in a shorter case. This was strictly for logistics purposes, because the .308 case takes-up 1/2 of an inch less of critical war materiel and the Loaded length subtracts 3/4 of an inch of length which is critical, when you talk about a Freight Train full-of ammo heading to the front or the cyclic rate of a machine-gun. I doubt if that means didly to a hunters pack.

The powders of the First World War ,needed the longer case to get the speed. Denser powders developed during the Second World War obviated the cartridge change and the Cold War dictated the utilitarian form of the .308. It had nothing to do with hunting. The fact that it's a good Deer cartridge probably has more to do with it being a good man-killer than anything, but the .30-06 will always beat-it-out and will even eat-it in a pinch, literally. Thus endeth the lesson. I hope you are somewhat enlightened.

garsher
02-01-2007, 08:19 AM
wow, that was quite the read. :D

Mr. Dean
02-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Thus endeth the lesson. I hope you are somewhat enlightened.
If gasher isn't.........I AM!

Benthos
02-01-2007, 06:34 PM
K guys thanks for the help,

I think im gonna go with the .30-06, i shot my uncles and I like the feel of it.

I just have one more question. What type of scope would I want for like 100-500 yards?

http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlinestore/control/category/~category_id=10400028010613/~pcategory=10142

I bought the Leupold VXII a few years ago and am very happy with it. I'd recommend the VXII and save a few hundred bucks for ammo

Phil
02-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Wow! If Garsher doesn't buy an '06 I think I will. Good read.

Typeing that won't leave you time for "exercise" eh Mattimoose:lol:

garsher
02-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Ya, Im gonna get a 30-06

mapguy
02-02-2007, 09:38 AM
you want a good scope anti glare lots of light so maybe a 50 mm

Frango
02-02-2007, 10:15 AM
280 Rem.The 270 wishes it was and the 30.06 knows it will never be.

30-06
02-02-2007, 10:31 AM
every make a stop through princeton go to princeton outdoor supply..there are lots of new and used guns.he carrys stevens,savage,remington.and there are some used mauser 308/30-06 and parker hale 30-06.even a nice browning 25-06 and browning 30-30.

sealevel
02-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Being a new hunter garsher you should get a good quility fixed 4 power scope. A lot of game has been missed cause of scopes being left on 9 power and if you are buying a 30-06 you really don`t need anything more than 4 power. Spend your money on better binos.

Mattimoose
04-09-2007, 03:23 AM
Wow! If Garsher doesn't buy an '06 I think I will. Good read.

Typeing that won't leave you time for "exercise" eh Mattimoose:lol:

I was just-out walking my brain.

Mattimoose
04-09-2007, 03:24 AM
Being a new hunter garsher you should get a good quility fixed 4 power scope. A lot of game has been missed cause of scopes being left on 9 power and if you are buying a 30-06 you really don`t need anything more than 4 power. Spend your money on better binos.

I don't know, I still like a low-power variable like 1.5-5x or 2-7. I hate 3-9. A fixed 4x is useless close-up.

Annie_Oakley
04-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Welcome! Gald your getting into hunting! It's very rewarding and exciting...you'll LOVE it!:) As for a gun, I've been using a .270 winchester rifle since I was 10.(I'm 13 now) and I've tipped over three bears and four deer with one shot each using it. :p

moose hunter
04-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Im only 14 and i use my 300wsm which kicks like a sun of a gun but she gets the job done and I can handle it, im 6 ft now but before when i was a bit smaller i was well built so I could still handle it.

BTW 30-06 is good was my first rifle aswell but itd be nice to be unique.

Mattimoose
04-14-2007, 04:20 AM
Welcome! Gald your getting into hunting! It's very rewarding and exciting...you'll LOVE it!:) As for a gun, I've been using a .270 winchester rifle since I was 10.(I'm 13 now) and I've tipped over three bears and four deer with one shot each using it. :p

WDM Bell's wife was known as the Belle of africa, and she killed hundreds if not thousands of Elephants with her 7mm Mauser and long, skinny, 173-grain, Military, Full-Metal Jacketed bullets with her husband. Single well-placed brain shots did the trick, and most were executed between 25 feet and 25 yards! Many were even closer and her greatest lookout was not to get squashed under a falling Elephant!

Shot placement of course is everything, but she would have never learned to shoot a much harder recoiling rifle as well as she did. That is why I have always considered cartridges like the .270 good calibres for women; along with the .243, .257 and 6.5's. My mother was a better shot than me and I think for some reason women are somewhat pre-disposed to-it. I don't know why. I have found that with most beginners, the women seem to shoot a little better out-of-the gate. I guess Testostherone might have something to do with that, I don't know.

Will
04-14-2007, 08:58 AM
I bought the Leupold VXII a few years ago and am very happy with it. I'd recommend the VXII and save a few hundred bucks for ammo
Agreed..........a 3-9x40mm VXII is the Perfect "ALL around" hunting scope.
And a Bargain at what they sell for now :o

wsm
04-14-2007, 12:19 PM
I don't know, I still like a low-power variable like 1.5-5x or 2-7. I hate 3-9. A fixed 4x is useless close-up.
i used a fixed 4 power for years and it is my preferance close up

Mattimoose
04-14-2007, 01:59 PM
i used a fixed 4 power for years and it is my preferance close up

When I was 16, my partner had a Winchester model 88 in .308 and missed a running deer @ 18-21 feet with a 4x scope because all he saw was a brown blob. Same guy screwed-up on a further 3 deer at 25-40 feet with the same problem. Weaver K4 fixed 4-power did-it.

I killed 2 deer 3 years ago in rapid succession under 20 feet with both eyes-open and a Leupold 1.5-5x on 1.5x on my BLR. It would have been impossible with a fixed 4x.

My partner this year missed a calf moose at 40 feet because he started-off trying to find the animal on a 3-9x bushnell he left on 9x and ended-up switching to his open sights on a see-through mount that shot-over and left-us with hump hair and no blood.

Variable Scopes are reliable enough now that See-through or Tip-off mounts are functionally obsolete beyond being crap in the first place.
My fixed Weaver K2.5 with steel-tube got me my first Moose running near dark at 70 yards and is still a classic. Fixed 4x scopes are only useful in my mind on rifles specifically dedicated to small-game hunting in .22 Long Rifle or .22 Magnum. I only get an adult Moose tag once every 10 years in my area, and I'll be F___ed if I will lose-it because I happened to bump into-it cheek to jowl.

After a rainy opening morning; we were heading back to camp and
I ran-into a young bull that startled me at about 10 feet. I thought it was a member of my hunting party(The tagholder) coming-up the trail. When I looked-up from the tracks on the trail I was checking-out, I saw the young bull with his head down checking-out the same tracks! The gun I had prepared for this scenario was back at the camp with a dead battery and I had my Brother's Mauser in .458 for back-up.
I had installed a .444 Marlin sleeve in the bottom barrel of my FEG O/U shotgun and had dialed-in the Millet, Red-dot for a 150-yard zero. When I showed-it to the guys the night before, the battery died.

So, I stopped in my tracks and started to take the rifle of my shoulder, while throwing the safety-off, when my partner walking behind me ran into my back and caused the Moose to look-up and take-off - up the hill. By the time the rifle was-up and the Williams peep-site was on him, he was gone over the top of the hill. I ran to the top-of the hill, and he was trotting, hell-bent-for-leather through our campsite and missed our tent by about 2-feet! By the time I got a bead-on him he was down the next wrinkle on the ridge line and I ran-like hell after him without firing a shot.

Chasing Moose is stupid so I stopped. Late the next morning, another party shot the same Moose down the creek.

I know how far the guy with the 4x was from the deer in the beginning of this essay because I shot, too-with my reciever sighted 8mm Mauser-and missed. So did another guy with a .30-30 standing on the other side of me. 3 men with high-powered rifles missed a 4-point buck at 6-paces on a hardwood ridgeline. That's why I went to the Red-dot so I could shoot a rifle like a shotgun, but batteries are a liability as is a lack of magnification, because it's pretty important to identify your target at a distance. This is where I began to develop the ultimate rifle for these situations.

Lever-actions are often touted for being inaccurate, but these people are talking-out of their collective arses if they haven't noticed that the Browning BLR has a rotating bolthead and by that virtue is potentially as accurate as any bolt-action. Lever-actions of the past were also dangerous as hell until the detachable box-magazine and articulated hammer of the BLR came-out. When Browning introduced the Long-action BLR in a magnum caliber, 7mm Remington Magnum; I had an epiphany.

I hated the 7mm magnum as every idiot in my area has one and at close range, it has a way of ruining lots-of meat with all but the heaviest constructed 175-grain bullets. I have always favoured the .338 as I watched my uncle kill 25 moose in the party in 27 years with the same 2 boxes of shells! That was with the 225-grain core-lokt Remingtons-even; not premium bullets like the Nosler Partition. Why not have the Magnum BLR re-bored and re-rifled to .338 and have the ultimate Moose rifle? Nothing is quicker death ,maybe save the .338 BAR but I like the BLR's model 88 style magazine and the lever's reliability better.

Bolt-action accuracy, safety and power with the speed and shootability of a lever with the convenience and safety of a reliable DBM. Now, I also have an auxillary cartridge, too, that is superior in this style of action as I just have to roll-it on it's back with the clip-out to insert-it but that is a different story. Back to the crux of my optical prejudice. Target acquisition at close range. When the big-game hunters are hunting, big dangerous game in Africa, they prefer the express sight for speed of acquisition and field of view. That's why they are installed on my rifle. The German military also preferred open sights to peep sights as it was easier to train a man to be accurate at combat ranges with them.

The quickest and most accurate scopings are those that are closest as possible to the axis of bore, and since I have a Leupold compact with no objective bell and super-low rings; I have that-along with Leupold's generous eye relief, field of view, clarity and light gathering capabilities provided by the short-tube and excellent lenses. To add, I removed the articulated portion of my hammer, lightened the left side and silver-soldered and contoured an extension onto the right-side of my hammer specifically for low scope use and re-installed-it.

If I had a fixed 4x scope on this rifle, I would be ******ing myself in two ways. I wouldn't know what I was looking-at close-up save partridge and squirrels and I wouldn't be able to see horns as good-far away because I wouldn't have 5x. When 3x9 Scopechiefs and Redfield TV-tubes used to fog-up all the time or cause parallax aberrations at high magnification, fixed-4x users had a leg to stand-on. Quality has caught-up to the variable scope, and sights are almost obsolete. In windage adjustable bases that help eliminate parallax, there are no advantages to a fixed power scope, so I entreat you to extoll their virtues here for us my friend.

Maybe you pass-up all your shots under 25 feet, but that's what I refer to as close. Most partridge I shoot with my auxillary cartridge are that close, too, and since there is little moment of recoil, the 124-grain projectiles strike correspondingly low, but I just place the eye of the bird on the tip of the bottom picket, and off-come their heads! Unlike you, though, I have both eyes open, on target, to watch-out for the other partridge deer or moose that may be behind-it-or Bear for that matter. Let's hear what's so good about fixed scopes?

eaglesnester
05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Being retired US military I like the 7.62 or 308 over the 30-06. The 308 has just an ever so slight edge over the 06 in ballistics and performance.

mapguy
05-11-2007, 06:59 AM
any gun will work from an 270 on up
But a 300 or 338 win mag will do it all including buffalo if your ever lucky enough to get a draw
Mind you i'm not sure what to do with a dead buffalo ehhehehe

Mattimoose
05-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Being retired US military I like the 7.62 or 308 over the 30-06. The 308 has just an ever so slight edge over the 06 in ballistics and performance.

The .308 Winchester only holds superiority over the .30-06 from the standpoint of logistics and cyclic rate. It was designed to duplicate M2 Ball performance in a shorter case but holds no edge whatsoever ballistically to the 30-06. It is however somewhat more efficient, but since the US military designed the .308 so that it could be chambered and fired safely in the .30-06 chamber with a resultant adjustment in trajectory(Lower point of impact) A good book to read for everyone who can get their hands on-it is Hatcher's Notebook by Gen. Julian S. Hatcher who was head of US army ordnance at Springfield Armory in Massachusetts from like 1920-1960 or so. My copy is with a crown prosecutor friend of mine right now who is trying a firearms case so I can't get specific dates, but it is the definitive read in US army ordnance development.

Will
05-11-2007, 05:31 PM
...and missed a running deer...
... Same guy screwed-up on a further 3 deer at 25-40 feet with the same problem....
....3 men with high-powered rifles missed a 4-point buck at 6-paces on a hardwood ridgeline...
Just an observation..........Perhaps scope magnification wasn't the issue ?

Animals are much easier to hit "accurately" when they are not moving;-)

ribber
05-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Your choice of a 30-06 is perfect, pick a gun that feels right and doesn't scare you when you shoot, becoming a good shot takes practice, something you won't do if your afraid of your rifle or develop a bad flinch

ohno
05-13-2007, 10:59 AM
If any one is interested in the new 6.8spc cartridge I found this on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.8_mm_Remington_SPC

It suppliments what Mattimoose was talking about. Sounds like it might be a good deer cartridge in a short action.

Mattimoose
05-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Just an observation..........Perhaps scope magnification wasn't the issue ?

Animals are much easier to hit "accurately" when they are not moving;-)

? So I take-it you shoot all your ducks on the water and all your Deer standing still. If all you can see is hair, you can't take a shot. Standing still or not.