PDA

View Full Version : Boots and Jacket

Woodrow
01-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Im going sheep hunting this fall and I need some gear. The garbage bag with some holes cut out of it wont work for a jacket this time. So what do you sugest. I have a pair of rocky boots but as soon as they see a puddle they leak, I need new boots as well.

bigwhiteys
01-28-2007, 11:32 AM
For my rain gear I have a "Keela" jacket and a pair of "Rockwater Designs" rain pants... Very compactable and light weight... They handle the buck brush well... Comparable to Helly Hansen rain gear. (about the same price too)

I try not to bring a full-blown jacket as it's too big to pack. I have a heavier fleece that I wear for warmth instead...

For boots it's a matter of preference... I have troublesome feet so I have a hard time finding good boots. I got a new pair of Hanwags the other day but had to send them back as they were a 1/2 too small... Now waiting for the second pair!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Ferenc
01-28-2007, 11:37 AM
I use the danners for all my hunts and have always had dry feet,but you have to prep them before any hunt,like every thing else they are expensive though!But have alook at the tread pattern[Danner Canadians]I feel this is what I would use and they last along time and take abuse!!

dana
01-28-2007, 11:43 AM
For Boots I'd go with Schnee Sheep Hunter's. Avoid the Danners. They are pieces of $hit. If a muley nut like me can blow them apart in 6 months, then I'm sure a sheep hunter will blow them out in half the time.

Tack
01-28-2007, 12:05 PM
For Boots I'd go with Schnee Sheep Hunter's. Avoid the Danners. They are pieces of $hit. If a muley nut like me can blow them apart in 6 months, then I'm sure a sheep hunter will blow them out in half the time.
I think your Danners were Friday afternoon specials. I've had two pairs of Danners and the first pair lasted 5 years of hard use. The second pair are three years old and have at least twice that left in them. Materials and build quality are second to none.
Tack

Krico
01-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Like everything else when you're sheep hunting, you want your jacket lightweight and tough. I'm with BW-get a warm fleece or wool jacket for warmth, but buy a waterproof breatheable shell for your outer layer-nothing beats gore-tex XCR (extended comfort rating). Don't believe the hype about all the wannabe waterproof breatheables out there, buy the real thing. The first gore-tex jacket I bought 10 years ago is still like new, and it has had a hard knock 10 years of hunting and fishing. I just upgraded last year to the new XCR gore-tex.

bruin
02-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I wore Danners for a couple of years. They seemed to hold out water for the first season. What I didn't like about them was the leather softened quickly and didn't give me alot of support in the ankles or the calves while walking in the rocks. I found my legs ran out of gas quicker. I liked them for deer hunting because I had a good range of movement and could be quieter. I just started wearing Miendl's and I really like them, they are nice and stiff, for me they are sheep boots only though.
As far as jackets I would have to agree with Krico.

scoot
02-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I know they are not the greatest brand out there, but for me the price and comfort was a factor for me.

Two and a half hears ago I bought rockey boots, I have put several hundred k's on them and they are still awsome. Only complaint is they are no a ridgid enough boot on the bottom of the boot. I only paid $180 after tax. Second was my jacket. Bought a rockey again, not becuase I am a rockey nut or anything, I just like the product and its price. Jacket is Camo, 100% waterproof, has a hood, is very quiet in the bush, scent lock. Price came to 120 as I recal.