PDA

View Full Version : Centre Shot

Franko Manini
01-27-2007, 10:17 PM
I finally got around to looking at my centre shot alignement on my bow today. I think it's about 1/8" too far right (I'm a lefty). I think when I got my bow set up, the guy set the centre shot as it I was a right handed shooter.

Anyways, woudl that case myarrows to go right? My groups are so far right I can't compensate by just moving the sight.

If I nudge it left, will that correct the problem?

Bow Walker
01-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Franko Manini (sounds like a bowl of spaghetti doesn't it?)
Put your bow in a bow vise - level it - line up your cam and idler wheel with the bow string.

Your string should spit the rest prongs right down the middle. If you're lucky, the string will hide your sight pins as well. That's when you know you are very close to having your center shot.

After that it's on to the paper tuning to get it perfect.

Right now, if things don't line up - then yes, I woud move the rest to the center.

willyqbc
01-28-2007, 07:14 PM
I little trick you can use if you don't have one of the several different centreshot tools is to use your stabilizer as a guide. your stab should run straight out from the bow so nock an arrow and look down on it from the top of the bow. If your centershot is bang on your arrow should run right down the stabilizer or at least parralell to the edge, if your arrow seems to be sitting at an angle across the stabilizer then adjust until it is straight.... this should get you close. That being said there is no substitute for the time savings and accuracy of a laser centreshot tool and a set of levels....they save me a ton of time!

Chris

Franko Manini
01-29-2007, 02:04 PM
I little trick you can use if you don't have one of the several different centreshot tools is to use your stabilizer as a guide. your stab should run straight out from the bow so nock an arrow and look down on it from the top of the bow. If your centershot is bang on your arrow should run right down the stabilizer or at least parralell to the edge, if your arrow seems to be sitting at an angle across the stabilizer then adjust until it is straight.... this should get you close. That being said there is no substitute for the time savings and accuracy of a laser centreshot tool and a set of levels....they save me a ton of time!

Chris

sounds like these tools should be on the top of my list!

Bigbear
01-30-2007, 04:56 PM
For Your Center shot, your string should be between the forks on your rest, and if your a lefty then your pins should be just a hair to left of the string. You can use the Stablizer , but I have seen some of the screw inserts for the Stablizer, off center. In A pinch I use another Arrow on the inside of the site window so the Arrow on the rest and the arrow your holding against the inside window run Parallel. That way you will see if the Arrow on the rest is left or right of center

nykoma
02-03-2007, 09:44 PM
take the time to paper tune the bow it is worth the time:lol:

Eagle1
02-04-2007, 08:50 PM
All one cams and most cam and 1/2 the string runs at an angle from top to bottom, pretty hard to get a centre shot when it's crooked. get it close, than as all ways should be done for your shooting style, PAPER TUNE THE DARN THING.
In all the years I've shot a bow my pins, arrow and string never line up, yet I can shoot bullit holes. no ones a shooting machine, noting is perfect.

Bow Walker
02-05-2007, 08:10 PM
All one cams and most cam and 1/2 the string runs at an angle from top to bottom, pretty hard to get a centre shot when it's crooked. get it close, than as all ways should be done for your shooting style, PAPER TUNE THE DARN THING.
In all the years I've shot a bow my pins, arrow and string never line up, yet I can shoot bullit holes. no ones a shooting machine, noting is perfect.
Bil,
I took your advice and tuned my rest to shoot the arrows straight instead of "fishtailing" or "porpoising" in any visible manner. I wasn't worried about the rest/string/wheels lining up. I just let the shots decide where the rest should be positioned.

One thing that I did do was to move out to 40 &/or 50 yds to see any and all discrepancies - as they're magnified out there.

When I was satisfied with the results out to 50 yds I moved in to 20 and took my one last shot of the day. 10X.8-) Gotta love it.

Nails
02-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Paper Tune your bow it is not too hard. However it can be fustrating but you get a better understanding how arrow flight and your bow work together.

tailgate77
03-06-2007, 06:32 PM
I think I have to adjust my rest too. My shots are consistently drifting right, even at ten yards. I thought it was the wind, but at that distance it shouldn't matter, and I went out on a calm day and it did the same. I was wondering if the surgical tubing that is connected with my peep is crucial. Mine broke the other day. Is it going to screw up my peep placement on the string, or can I shoot it before I get it replaced. So far the peep has turned slightly, but I can still line up with it.

Bow Walker
03-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Just replace the tubing and you're good to go. If your peep is served in it should not move any more - unless your string is new and is still settling into place.